Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Bolt's for rotor, questions about availability and upgrade

Started by Joshua, January 22, 2020, 03:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua

Hey guys, like the topic suggests, the rotor bolts, or studs that hold the rotor on the rim.  I think they are 8mm.  What do you guys use?  Do you continue to use the retainer washers that bend over, or is a lock washer acceptable?

I'm asking more for my front brake setup as I'm going to blue dot and haven't thought through it. Garrett did a great job with his plug and play setup, couldn't be more happy about the quality of the parts he provided.  I think he also told me what to use, just have lost the text as it was prob over a year ago.

I'm also wondering if you guys use stainless steel bolts for the rotor to carrier.  My basket case had mismatched bolts everywhere and I mean everywhere. Most are rusty enough to be concerned.  Some were original, some not and I have no idea where to find them, or just upgrade to something better.  I've tried to scour the internet, but my terminology is probably locking me in an echo chamber. 

Thanks for any info.

m in sc

ive used class 10.9 allens, stainless button heads, etc. the bend tabs work well, but ive been running with blue loctite on mine. Ive also used titanium bolts and the class 10.9 flanged bolts. def avoid the hardware store junk unless is rated at 10.9. (its kind of over kill but why risk it)

Joshua

m in sc

depends on the bolts, i should clarify. Ive used lockwashers on the allens, but on the flange bolts no. with the fold tabs, no  washers.

Dvsrd

Quote from: Joshua on January 22, 2020, 03:42:02 PM
No lock washers?  Just loctite?  Thanks.
Just Loctite (#242 or #243") is perfectly fine, even on much heavier and faster bikes than any RD. Just clean/ degrease threads before applying tne Loctite, and use a good torque wrench (i.e not too big. I have 2 torque wrenches,  one 5-25 NM for M5 to M8, and a 20-110 Nm for anything requiring more torque)

Joshua

Thanks guys. I went with allen and washers with loctite. Cause it was local. I'll save up for the titanium at a later date when the big things are out of the way.

How about the rotor to carrier bolts. I have some of the original flat head bolts, but the rest are cut bolts. Does anyone know the size bolts I need for that offhand?? 

Really wish the guy before me wasn't MacGyver.

rodneya

I assume you mean caliper to bracket bolts. They are 10mm *1.25 fine thread
I had a hard time finding anyone local that had anything stainless, and almost impossible to find stainless button head Allen hardware. I ended up ordering some fancy dished head flanged titanium bolts from ebay for like $3.

m in sc

i think he meant rotor to hat? :umm: Im not sur eoff top of my head but i think they are m5

Jspooner

Quote from: m in sc on January 23, 2020, 12:25:07 AM
i think he meant rotor to hat? :umm: Im not sur eoff top of my head but i think they are m5

They are 6mm, not sure on length though, maybe 15mm long.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Dvsrd

Definitely M6, 10 mm regular hex head, that keeps the bolts from spinning when tightening the nut. I would use the highest grade stainless available, A4-80, and sand or machine off the markings on the head for a stock-ish look. As for length, I would try to find a length that has an unthreaded portion close to thickness of disc+carrier, and cut off the excess thread, letting 1 mm or so protrude through the nut when tight. Fully threaded bolts will have less area in shear, and also a sloppier fit.
The oem type locking tabs for the nuts are nice, pretty sure Economy have those. On SS fasteners, I always use Loctite, as it both secures the fastener and prevents galling/seizing of the thread.

Joshua

m in sc

i havent used  a stock rotor in so long i forgot. lol.   :burnout:

I do remember i did replace the bolt since and used nylock nuts on the back , just couldn't remember the thread.

Jspooner

I use button head cap screws with nyloc nuts on the back side.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Joshua

Quote from: m in sc on January 23, 2020, 11:14:15 AM
i havent used  a stock rotor in so long i forgot. lol.

Hope to get there soon enough. Front is already upgraded, but I just want to get this on the road at this point. Once I'm done I'd like to go to spoked rims and a different rear brake. I don't know why but I am starting to like the look of drum in the back. It seems you really don't need much more brake than that. Either way, not now, want to get it running.