This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

lost a spring for a piston

Started by rd400canuck, March 04, 2020, 03:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400canuck

Me again!

I was trying to get a little ribbon spring out of the piston ring groove and ping... it went flying and has disappeared into the ether never to be found again. It goes under the lower ring. I've never seen these before on the Wiseco pistons I am more familiar with. Can I just omit the other one and run like that or am I asking for trouble not having it under the ring?

I see on ebay ring kits with the exact same part number that dont even have a spring so I am wondering how necessary they are for a stock bike.

John

m in sc

If you are referring to the 'wavy' expander ring under the bottom ring, don't run them.

if you re talking about the wristpin clip, just get a set of wiseco 16mm wristpin c clips.

Gene Ungar

What type of pistons are you using?

If the rings are the right ones and they had the expander spring, I would not run them without the spring.  It was there for a reason.

rodneya

Those wavy little expander rings came with my Pro X pistons, and went into the trash along with the other packaging. You dont need them.

rd400canuck

its the wavy flat ribbon one.

I'm going to omit the other one as well. They are NOS yamaha piston and ring set 1a1-11610-40

SUPERTUNE

Don't use them, they will eventually break into bits in the engine, standard upgrade practice is to throw them in the trash bin!
Wiseco and Wossner don't use them at all.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

rd400canuck

Thanks again guys...

I think I might be able to start the bike this weekend... So anxious to hear it after everything I've done to it.