Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Carb differences for Dave F mod

Started by iranana, March 08, 2020, 04:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iranana

Hi guys, maybe a daft question, but are the RD carbs all mostly the same, with the exception of the air jet size? I've found some 250d carbs and I'm wondering if they would suitable for doing the Dave F mod/primary needle jet conversion for a 400c. Cheers!

SUPERTUNE

RD400c model here are setup with a special cable clip into the slide, so the cables might be short for our 250 type carbs
Are new aftermarket mikuni VM28's hard to get there?
They are under $100 each here. Buy some Primary conversion stuff them make up cables and you have trouble free new carbs...no brainer
for me.
I charge $100 to rebuild + parts about $75 if you replace everything...so you not far to stepping up to new carbs.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

iranana

Hey Chuck! Actually I was wondering about that also. Do the new VM28s have removable air jets, and are there any issues with having two choke leavers?

Dvsrd

Quote from: iranana on March 08, 2020, 02:34:29 PM
Hey Chuck! Actually I was wondering about that also. Do the new VM28s have removable air jets, and are there any issues with having two choke leavers?

Surely a bit more awkward, but it should be possible to link the chokes, or maybe convert to a cable operated choke setup.
Also, I believe you will end up with one of the idle adjustment screws on the inside if one carb.

Jspooner

Quote from: Dvsrd on March 08, 2020, 07:40:23 PM

Surely a bit more awkward, but it should be possible to link the chokes, or maybe convert to a cable operated choke setup.
Also, I believe you will end up with one of the idle adjustment screws on the inside if one carb.

You can buy left and right handed carbs. Not sure if the chokes change, don't think they do but the idle screws do.

"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

m in sc

2 chokes aren't an issue. common on triples fit with vm34s.

:twocents:

heres my take: as long as the slide is a 2.5 and oyu can get the cable to work, it will work. heck, i dave-f modded a set of VM30s off an H2 for an rd once, it worked great. It shouldn't have, but it did.  :twocents:

SUPERTUNE

Yes, new VM28 do have removable air jets, Make sure you have the perfect flat blade to fit as they are often really tight.
No big deal with 2 chokes. Use your forefinger inward to open lever then use you thumb to push down to close. Really simple.
2 left carbs are a little work to get to the inner idle, but once set... not a issue.
Chuck

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

m in sc

if youre feeling really squirrely and bored and can mod stuff, i reconfigured this (cut, reweld, etc) to work on a RH carb.

:whistle:

(edit: better pictures)

SUPERTUNE

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765