Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

New issue... right turn signals stopped working and buzz

Started by rd400canuck, March 10, 2020, 04:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400canuck

please see video I made... right side signals stopped working and i have no idea why. Bulbs are not burnt and no wired i can see are loose

https://www.bitchute.com/video/JuaovQjMMN89/

Kawtriplefreak

Low battery or bad flasher unit. I just went through a similar problem on my 75 RD350. Mine turned out to be a bad flasher unit.

Striker1423

I wonder about the flasher unit tho. Its working one side but not the other... so it's working. I think you need to check the battery first, but double check the wiring too. Also the switch contacts might be a bit corroded.

rd400canuck

It's a brand new left side switch unit from Econo... ill check the wiring again but there isnt much of it to look over. I wondered about one side working perfectly and the other not and whether that means the flasher is good if one side works. The battery voltage is definitely good. Even when I had it on 11 volts it still worked.. slowly but it worked.

350GUY

Canuck:

Unscrew the switch from the handle bar and spray the inside of the turn signal switch very liberaly, with some electrical contact cleaner.  Once the switch dried out, give it a try.
Also, It's either your ground or the connections that run to the RH side blinkers.

rgds,

Daryl

Gene Ungar

Just to be clear, it can't be the flasher unit - it fires both sides so since the left is working it tells you that the flasher unit is OK, as is the wiring up to it.  The wiring then goes to the handlebar switch where it splits right and left (as I recall), so the wire to the switch is also good.  Since it's a new switch let's assume that the switch is good, too. 

The buzzing on the right makes me think you have a short.  Check for obvious paths to ground that should not be there.  Also, you should check with a test light.  Set one side to ground and start at the wire that comes from the switch.  Disconnect the connector and connect the test light to the hot connector.  It should flash just like a turn signal.  Then you can work your way along the right hand turn signal path.

You can also do this with a voltmeter, but the voltage will be a constant 12V.  The flasher won't operate with the voltmeter in the circuit.  The resistance isn't right.

m in sc

id look for a bad ground at one of the bulbs on that side

rd400canuck

Thanks for all the tips guys...

I'll tackle this today when I get home. Keep ya posted.

EDIT...   looks like it was a crummy ground. I was poking around testing wires and there is a ground junction that the grounds from the front turn signals and the one from the switch assy do into. I messed with that and the turn signal right side started working properly.

Thanks again everyone :)

Baldwin53

I recently had a similar problem and the ground was bad on the turn signal. The light would light up but, not flash. The black wire showed resistance instead of zero ohms ground. It was a faulty bullet connector in the headlight housing. All I had to do was pull it apart and clean it, and pinch the connector a wee bit.
Good luck!

Baldwin53

I recently had a similar problem and the ground was bad on the turn signal. The light would light up but, not flash. The black wire showed resistance instead of zero ohms ground. It was a faulty bullet connector in the headlight housing. All I had to do was pull it apart and clean it, and pinch the connector a wee bit.
Good luck!