This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Jetting time

Started by rd400canuck, March 26, 2020, 03:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400canuck

Hi Alain,

The first time I did it I used a little bulb that would come on when the points closed as I rotated the crank with a wrench. I set the adjustable pointer  to point to the notch at 1.8mm then adjusted points until the bulb would turn on when the pointer and notch were aligned.

things is... after I do that.... then start the motor and use the timing gun to check.... the notch is showing up after the pointer by a decent amount.

m in sc

this is exactly why you use a dynamic timing light. glad you found it :cheerleader:

Alain2

Quote from: rd400canuck on June 03, 2020, 08:18:23 AM
Hi Alain,

The first time I did it I used a little bulb that would come on when the points closed as I rotated the crank with a wrench. I set the adjustable pointer  to point to the notch at 1.8mm then adjusted points until the bulb would turn on when the pointer and notch were aligned.

things is... after I do that.... then start the motor and use the timing gun to check.... the notch is showing up after the pointer by a decent amount.

I understand the process you used (which could explain the error), but I think you meant to say when the bulb would turn off (when the point opens).

Now put that bad boy at 2.0mm and enjoy!  :celebrate:

1973 RD350, 1977 RD400, 1979 RD400, 1980 RD400, 1985 MJ50, Goped Zenoah 30cc.

rd400canuck

wrong post. igore

Czakky

Two things that I can think of.

When you change direction on the crank there is a bit play that you will need to take up by going past your ending firing point then going regular direction to set your ignition. Watch Mark's awesome vid https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqardto3Kbs&t=186s

Also I think that the HPI is advancing a bit at idle so maybe you need to up a bit on your jets.

m in sc

.. except hes running points.  :vroom:

rd400canuck

switching to HPI now.. in another thread though

m in sc