Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD400 almost finished and road worthy.

Started by rd400canuck, April 24, 2020, 04:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400canuck

Got my new exhaust baffle from UK.. took a month to get here. Bike sounds perfect now. Not done jetting but it runs really really well so far. I still need to do 1/2 and full throttle plug chops... and I'm still uncertain if I will go to a 30 pilot. Running the 27.5 right now at 1/4 turns. The rpm will speed up if i go to 1/2 out but i put it at 1/4 because its still cool here and I just want it richer for now. No weird behaviors... just pulls. I havent been to redline yet while wot either but i do bring to it 6 or 7 once in a blue moon just to give a go.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/bzzTVjOQbfIc/

Evans Ward

1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

RDFL

2steve

Expansion chambers snap, crackle and pop but stock pipes sound really good  :thumbs:

RDFL

I had forgot how good they sound till watching it.

rd400canuck

I noticed it sounds like crap on my phone or laptop... when i play it on my tv that goes through my stereo it sounds perfect. Exactly like it does in real life.

About the paint scheme... I was planning on going blue (like R1 blue) but the yellow and black is such a distinctive old school look I'm going to keep it that way.

suey1958

Sounds Awesome,...Paint scheme is very nice also. Great Job  :clap:

Czakky

SUPERTUNE

Sounds great through my open acoustic philips headphones, just like a stock piped RD400 should with clean pipes and baffles with a fresh engine.
:metal: :righteous: :cheerleader:
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

rd400canuck

Quote from: SUPERTUNE on April 24, 2020, 11:26:42 PM
Sounds great through my open acoustic philips headphones, just like a stock piped RD400 should with clean pipes and baffles with a fresh engine.
:metal: :righteous: :cheerleader:
Chuck

You have the ones with the R and L painted on the screen sides? Those are supposed to be really good.

Im listening through some Elac B6's and my Yamaha stereo amp and it sounds wonderfully deep and rumbly.. I love thr way this bike sounds with stock pipes and I'm so happy with the way it's turning out. I like pipes as well but they can get on my nerves after a while if I just want to chill and take a relaxing ride. I think what I learned to dislike the most, thought, is intake drone. That's why I kept the intake stock. The bike is a joy to just float down the road on. I can't wait to spend a day jetting it to see how much better it will perform. As it is it's running pretty good but the jetting needs tuning for sure. Today I tuned the air screws in to 1/4 out just to put my mind at ease but I noticed at stead 1/8 throttle is just wasnt right. I felt like the tiniest bit rich and it would start to burble so I went back to 1/2 out and it was much better. That's with the 27.5 but having said that, I still want to put the 30 back in just to see if it will like it at all.

I have 15w fork oil in the forks and so far the front ends feels pretty decent. It certainly doesnt feel under damped to me at all. Feels planted in a straight  line and steady around corners... no wavering or wallowing at all. I think I'm happy with the 15w. So easy and nimble to bomb around town on. The tires seem to be a really good match, as well.

Only thing I noticed from my limited seat time is the shift throw is very... i dunno... short and maybe a little stiff. I almost feel like I want the lever to be a little longer for some more travel.  It goes through the gears fine and never pops out...  just takes some effort and you need to be deliberate. I'm used to my 2004 CBR600F4i so... perhaps its clouding my judgement.

Also, the throttle has some real pull back to it. When I was running premix and had the pump disconnected I never noticed it.. but that pump spring really adds to the effort it takes to turn the throttle. I cleaned and lubed the main length of cable with gear oil... maybe that isnt slippery enough lol.

So far so good. Can only get better from here. I still have yet to put the electronic ignition on it.

Would be nice to be able to take it to NC in Aug. Fingers crossed.

John

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)