Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

One of my other 2 stroker projects.

Started by soonerbillz, March 02, 2021, 05:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

I am having fun gearing up to get my junker R5 project together... but I have more than a few other bikes(and cars) I have in the shop.
I don't see many posts on this board for older Yamaha street bikes.  The early YD and YDS models are some of my favorite bikes.
I thought I would share one is going to be really special.
1964 YDS3 250
I bought this bike a few years ago and it is undergoing a complete restoration. It was fairly complete but very rough condition. It was missing some hard to find parts and has the wrong fuel tank on it (still trying to find the correct round badge tank) but I have found most everything.
This one is a money pit.. the scarce parts are pricey and chrome work, paint and all the necessary mechanical stuff are making it one not to talk to Momma about too much.
The really cool thing is the bike may well be one of the very first YDS3 bikes to be imported to the USA.
The serial number it #2306... and I've only seen one other with such a low number.. I still am trying to find which dealership it may have been sold from but documenting without provenance(I received no paperwork with the bike  :sad:)
Anyways.. it's a cool bike and will be a keeper for me.  Just like my R5.

soonerbillz

Here is a pic of what the bike is supposed to look like with the correct fuel tank.

85RZwade

That is a pretty tank-reminiscent of yin/yang. Is the clutch on the end of the crank in that engine?
I post waayyy too much

soonerbillz

Quote from: 85RZwade on March 03, 2021, 12:29:49 AM
That is a pretty tank-reminiscent of yin/yang. Is the clutch on the end of the crank in that engine?

Funny you say that! In the small circle of fans of the round badge... that's exactly what we call them. "Ying-Yang tanks"

Yes... these early twins did have the clutch direct to the crankshaft. It is also the first Yamaha to offer the Autolube pump system.
One side note though: The pump was driven off the clutch.. so at a stand still with the engine running and the clutch pulled in or disengaged... the pump would not be operating. Sitting at a stop light in gear revving the motor is not a smart thing.  :cheesy:

SoCal250

Here's a bike like yours that was on display at the Petersen. Maybe you can customize your like this.  :dawg:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

soonerbillz

Quote from: SoCal250 on March 03, 2021, 12:44:30 PM
Here's a bike like yours that was on display at the Petersen. Maybe you can customize your like this.  :dawg:

Yep.. the Bat bike was indeed a YDS3!  :cheesy:
but no... not considering the mods...