News:

Deals Gap Shenanigans

Deals Gap 2-stroke meet 2024 : May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

'How To' RZ timing & power valve tuning with Zeeltronics

Started by SUPERTUNE, April 17, 2020, 01:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUPERTUNE

Pretty '84 RZ 5mm stroker 392cc

Close up of engine.

Going to work on showing some of the issues to RZ tuning and working with the Zeeltronic's PCDI-10VT

The job started with having to rebuild the harness and the main ground go shorted out and had to strip it all the way up to the spider ground joint up by the coil.

Because this engine is a +5mm stroker and even on stock stroke RZ's the first thing you have to do with using a programable zeeltronic controller is you have to verify the static angle and set the stator and the box as being the same static angle.
Basically what this means is the zeel (short for Zeeltronics) uses the max static angle to use as a guide to retard timing for your curve that you program in the box to what timing in degrees and what RPM to use that timing. With a static angle set @ 34* degrees that will be your max ever setting for any timing you use, 34* is a stock setting the zeel has in their box as stock.
But can be adjusted if you don't want to move the stator to match the 34* degrees, lets say the stator is 31* then you can go and program in the zeel box to only 31*'s  OK lets just move on for now...don't want you to get all confused.

The first thing I needed to do is make a degree chart using a piston stop and degree wheel on the 5mm stroker engine (59mm stroke) as the 34* degree mark will be different than a stock stroke crank (54mm stroke) when using a sparkplug dial indicator.

The piston stop is put in the sparkplug hole, then turn crank with degree wheel on and turn back against the stop both ways and adjust degree * wheel and pointer so when against the stop in both directions the pointer reads the same on each side of TDC (top dead center) this now tells us the degree wheel is timed to TDC exactly. Now I can take out the stop, put my dial indicator in to measure piston movement and write out a chart as shown in this next pic and stopping at my 35* static angle # with my chart as no need to go any farther as I won't program my zeel box any higher than 34* static angle.
(sorry it's sideways)

TDC with both dial indicator and degree wheel @0

In this pic you can see all the timing marks I put on the flywheel with a pointer to use the timing light on.

By following my chart I see that 34* degrees is 6.26mm BTDC (before top dead center)
This 6.26mm what I now will make a pointer on my flywheel to use a timing light to verify and adjust stator to line up to have the static angle match the zeel box @34*

I took a perfectly good expensive Snap On 10mm combination wrench and married it to my acetylene torches and bench grinder to make a RZ perfect stator wrench so I didn't need to pull the flywheel to get to the bolt heads to loosen and move the stator to time!  :eek: :celebrate:

Here is my zeeltronics programmer...about $100

This was a bit on the fly trying to do this by myself with social distancing!!! :bang:   
Watching the programmer read RPM's and timing and made sure I have set all the curve points to 34* beforehand.

https://photos.imageevent.com/supertune/robrz5mmstroker392cc/20200316_165303.mp4

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

SUPERTUNE

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

Czakky

2t ignition curves blow my mind. 4t's are complicated enough 2t's are next level. I'm enjoying this.

Striker1423

I'm debating getting a standard one for the RD350. I am a set it and forget it kinda guy. But, I think this is quite a bit more complicated than I thought it would be. Power valves notwithstanding of course.

RDJ

Thank you Chuck for this info. I installed a zeel with power valve last year. It transformed my bike in my opinion. '84 RZ Spec II old pipes and Spec II 30 mm carbs. I am currently using ign. curve #2 and pv map #4. If you want to divulge any of your maps and curves that would be great ! Thank you for freely giving your expertise and experience ,you are a blessing, stay safe. 

SUPERTUNE

I will do that as well...been too busing with porting jobs...like 6 sets to do.
I'll be back soon to add more info.
C

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765