Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

G3SS...it's a gas, gas, gas!

Started by The Red Scourge, April 18, 2020, 12:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Scourge

I was born in a crossfire hurricane!  Wait, what are we talking about again?  Oh yeah, I bought a '71 G3SS the other day!  I actually didn't pay any money for it, I traded the guys some bike parts and 7.62x39 ammo.  This will be my wife's bike if she sticks with riding when she learns, but I still plan to ride it.  I found out from the owner (who was a young guy, probably 19-20) that his grandmother bought it new in '71!  I love those stories, it gives the bike more character to me.  Some parts are in incredible condition.  The chrome on the exhaust is very nice.  Other stuff needs replacing.  Almost 50 year old rubber is pretty stiff.  There does seem to be plenty of NOS parts on eBay.  I'll find out how stiff packaged 50 year old rubber is I guess.  I'll keep my expectations low.  The PO was cafe-ing it, which I'll continue, but cleaner.  There's some decent stuff done to it, but the seat mount is about as bad as I've ever seen.  I can use what he started, the welds look fine.  The real score is the fibreglass TD3 replica seat that came with it!  It's mostly disassembled, appears to be missing a ton of hardware.  This won't be a complete rebuild.  I'll touch up the frame paint, make sure it's mechanically sound and let 'er rip!  I got it to run yesterday, the top end was just rebuilt, but I still need to check ring end gap and all that.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

The Red Scourge

Took these yesterday.  I still need to wash the frame.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

The Red Scourge

You'll notice he replaced the rear shocks to make a hardtail thing.  Well, those will be gone soon.  The OEM shocks are done.  I can compress then with my hands!  I'll likely be getting some rebuildable RFY shocks on eBay.  The PO cut the front springs to lower it.  The damn thing is so low as it is, I'll need to source different front springs.  I haven't found much of an aftermarket for it, but it does share a lot with the G4TR, G5, and (I think) some with the KE100. 
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

RattlecanResto

They are very cool little bikes. I have a 75 I have been working on

The Red Scourge

Nice!  That's a beautiful tank!  I'll post mine shortly.  It's...not great.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

RattlecanResto

Obviously I repainted the tank. Candy red, major pita

suey1958

WOW, The paint job on that tank is awesome.  :clap:
Beautiful Job 

RattlecanResto

Thx. It's looks awesome in the sunlight. Pics don't really show the metallic. It was a lot of work though. I've been meaning to take it around to the auto paint store and show those guys since they kept telling me "you can't do candy paint with spray cans" lol

85RZwade

What a cool bike, can't wait to see what you make of it. I'm hoping for a fat, natural-finish expansion chamber slung underneath and a continuation of the Kawasaki racing green theme! Nice find.
I post waayyy too much

The Red Scourge

Quote from: 85RZwade on April 18, 2020, 10:03:54 PM
What a cool bike, can't wait to see what you make of it. I'm hoping for a fat, natural-finish expansion chamber slung underneath and a continuation of the Kawasaki racing green theme! Nice find.

Thanks!  If this was solely my bike, I'd definitely be using the Kawi racing green.  My wife wants something like pink.  I'm thinking about making it the loudest neon pink I can get a hold of.  It should be pretty unique!
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

RattlecanResto

Striker1423

A 1972 G3SS was my first bike. I sold it to a fella that was a collector. He just wanted to hear it run, didn't want to take it for a ride or anything. Whatever guy, enjoy it. Handed the title over and forgot the plate like a moron. Whoops.

Fast forward a few months and the big Novi bike show and swap meet came up and I went with a friend since neither of us had gone before. All Harley stuff...Like all of it except for a few odds and ends for CB750's etc. My buddy is like 6'3" and he spots a row of 3 Japanese bikes across the floor. There was a purple RD200, and another bike I can't remember. He says "Hey, there's a Kawi 90 like your old bike... wait... it IS your old bike." Get over there and sure as schnitzel, it was my bike, nothing changed on it, listed for 60 dollars over what I sold it for. Asked to see title as they were rolling the bikes away and he didn't produce it. It didn't sell, and I bet that title is still in my name lol.

I miss that bike honestly. The 90 just ran. Yeah it liked popping out of 5th gear, but FWIW, it gave me far less trouble than the RD ever did. I got way more looks on the 90 too. Racked up over 500 miles my first season on it. Several 100+ mile days just ringin' it's neck to keep up with traffic at 55mph (courtesy of a 5-tooth larger rear sprocket). Uncomfortable and slow... but it was ungodly loud with an unpacked baffle and I LOVED it.

Dvsrd

Quote from: The Red Scourge on April 18, 2020, 10:40:57 PM
Thanks!  If this was solely my bike, I'd definitely be using the Kawi racing green.  My wife wants something like pink.  I'm thinking about making it the loudest neon pink I can get a hold of.  It should be pretty unique!
Maybe that lilac/purple/whatever Suzuki used on the early GT750 would be to your wife's taste? And at the same time sort of keep it in a 70s color palette, even if not a Kawasaki color?

The Red Scourge

Is this what you were thinking of?  If so, that's pretty nice actually.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

85RZwade

A friend of my dad's rolled in on a water buffalo in those colors when I was about 9...coolest thing I had ever seen.
I post waayyy too much