Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Bearings??

Started by 85RZwade, April 19, 2020, 12:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

:help: Getting a shopping list together, mostly bearings, seals, gaskets. Looks like LC bottom end/transmission bearings are the same as RZ, and all are available from Partzilla/boats.net. Might see if I can still get a little break from the Yamaha shop where I used to work, otherwise is there another source for OEM Yamaha or equivalent bearings that is recommended?
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

I got Koyo 8 ball maxload bearings for my crank and behind the sprocket (all same).
Still need the smaller trans bearings, but will most likely go oem

85RZwade

Koyo is good stuff. Where did you buy, and did you save any money vs. an OEM vendor?
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

Got to PJME, they have everything you need for LCs. Including cranks built with TZ rods and big end bearings. That's what I put in mine.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

85RZwade

Thanks Joe, I'll check them out
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

I bought Nachi bearings off eBay.

Waay cheaper than oem.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

Did you search for them on eBay by part #?
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

I think Garrett found them and told me which ones to buy.

I wish I could tag him on this post so he would chime in.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

rodneya

Quote from: 85RZwade on April 19, 2020, 01:29:14 PM
Koyo is good stuff. Where did you buy, and did you save any money vs. an OEM vendor?

I got them from Farm and Sand Toys along with their bearing clips. They do a lot of Banshee stuff
I think they were $30 per bearing.

pdxjim

Pretty sure the crank bearings I got off eBay last year for the LC were about $15 each.

That's about how much Koyos are at McGuire Bearing here in Portland.  For comparisons sake, the equivalent Chinese bearings are about $8 each.

I'm also pretty sure the Ebay bearings were just listed by size and type.  No mention of Yamaha or Banshee, etc. 

Alain2

I wouldn't try to save money on crank bearings. I ordered cheap eBay bearings in the past and they were not C3 as advertised. Just be careful.
1973 RD350, 1977 RD400, 1979 RD400, 1980 RD400, 1985 MJ50, Goped Zenoah 30cc.

thatguy

Spend a few bucks and support the local guy. They'll be needing it these days. Many will disappear before this mess is over.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

85RZwade

Good points, all. As I started my list, I quickly (well, quickly is a relative term) realized A) this is gonna be more than a Benjamin in bearings alone, and B) if I'm placing that size order, since the RZ uses all the same bearings I might as well get two of everything. The RZ project is next, bearings have an infinite shelf life an they're never going to be any less expensive. So, back to math, with two sets of seals and gaskets I'm surely pushing $400 and it makes sense to me to get OEM quality or better bearings with locating pins and/or circumferential grooves as needed for a price that makes me feel good.
And then thatguy has to be "that guy" who reminds my to support local business, my soft underbelly is exposed, and if my past employer will throw me a little bit of a bone I'll buy from them.
Thanks, guys  :patriot:
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

The crank bearings I got off eBay, and from the local bearing supply house were all proper Japanese Koyo or Nachi bearings with all the proper locating pins and snap ring grooves. 🤷🏻‍♂️

SUPERTUNE

Any made in Japan bearing like Koyo and Nachi are fine, nubs and pins are not needed, just make sure you have the NR grooved ones that have the clip in them.
Locktite 640 is your friend. These bearings in RD's and RZ's are C3 rated bearings so nubs and pins are not needed.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com