Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Bore and hone

Started by Greaser Greg, April 28, 2020, 09:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greaser Greg

Looking for somebody cheap and good to do one r5 cylinder close to the heartland. :whistle:
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

thatguy

"cheap and good"

Don't want much do ya? Ah just suck it up and send it off to Chuck.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

AAAltered

Good, Fast,  Cheap.  Pick two...
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

Greaser Greg

Zacly! I have more time than $, so....
And by cheap, I mean around $80 a hole, or less.
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

m in sc

my local guy is very good and that's about where he is price wise, but shipping would kill it, i agree, send to chuck. 

economan

You can get cheap, OR good, If you believe you got both, beware.  :whistle:

Yep, send it to DR. Q.

SUPERTUNE

I can be fast...Not cheap, but good!
With over 10,000 cylinders I've bored in my lifetime... that is what makes me good.
I bought my Rottler boring bar brand new in 1981 when I was 21!
(And no not all of them in my Rottler, as I also owned a Kwikway and Sunnen CV616 when I owned the automotive race machine shop)
Chuck

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

jmendoza

Very nice work Chuck!

We had a local guy here who like Chuck, had been  doing 2-stroke boring for 50 years. He has a row of 3 Rottlers and 4 Kwickways, several Sunnen rod/keyway pedistal hones and a large derrick type Sunnen hone (looks like a grasshopper oil well). Best of all, like Chuck, he used torque plates for all the 2-stroke Air cooled Yamaha cylinders and other makes as well. His two sons now run the shop as Bill sadly passed away early this year.   

Chuck so correctly points out that experience is crucial when boring a 2-stroke, as they are very tricky to do correctly given the ports and relatively weak liners when compared to a 4 stroke engine block.   I gladly pay $90 a hole, or more, for someone like Chuck who has the right tooling and experience.  If we did not have the Qualls here locally, I would be shipping my cylinders to Chuck.
Seizure Later!

CT1-C,RD200B,RD400C,RZ350N,RZ250FII
3 ea KT 100S

m in sc

exactly.

my local guy learned from his dad whos shop basically did nothing but 2 strokes, he has about 38 years experience.. or id also send them south. I mean, a 10 minute drive is much easier for me. But that's a huge rarity these days.   :twocents: