Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

R5 tachometer indicators

Started by AAAltered, May 06, 2020, 04:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAAltered

I powered on the R5 rebuild for the first time today.  Good news was no smoke, but I have some issues to iron out.  I put lamps in the speedo and tach and they work.  When I power the key on, the green indicator comes on, the amber does not. 

I can't remember the last time I had working lamps in there and for the life of me cannot remember what the indicators mean.  I believe green is "neutral", what is amber?

Meanwhile, i have no headlight power so I am working through that issue.

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

Striker1423

High beam indicator or brake indicator. That's my guess.

m in sc

turn signal indicator. r5s dont have the brake lamp warning circuit.

Striker1423

Ah nuts. Figures I'd guess two things wrong and completely forget the turn signals. Lol

AAAltered

Makes sense, I have never run signals on this bike so no wonder I never saw amber light up.  Thanks.
1971 R5
1976 RD200

jmendoza

You are not going to like this but guess what?

That Tach is off an AT-1, or CT-1, or another Yamaha because it is smaller than the speedo.

Looks just like the one on my 1971 CT1-C

Jay
Seizure Later!

CT1-C,RD200B,RD400C,RZ350N,RZ250FII
3 ea KT 100S

m in sc

yup. jays right i didn't even notice. 

i have an nos one of those actually, but def not for an r5. but has same ratio so will work properly.

AAAltered

Interesting.  I think you are seeing an optical illusion.  I just measured them to see what was up.  Both measure 75mm on the inside rim.  Is the redline etc correct for an R5 on the unit I have mounted?
1971 R5
1976 RD200

m in sc

original r5 gauge. i can take a better pic, only one i had on hand.

DesmoDrew

Don't try to figure out how to wire in the 'high beam' indicator.  It is the Yellow wire from switch.  The original High Beam indicator is a lamp on the top of the R5 healight shell (which you no longer have) not in the gauges.  One of the lights is the Neutral light and the other is the Turn Signal indicator.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/sotw/wirdiagr5.jpg

jmendoza

Note how Mark's R5 tach needle has an aluminum round medallion on the center of the needle, just like the speedo needle, and the small white increments on the RPM scale.   Your Tach is probably off an Enduro model.  It looks just like the one on my 1971 CT1-C
As long as it works it should be just fine.
Seizure Later!

CT1-C,RD200B,RD400C,RZ350N,RZ250FII
3 ea KT 100S

Czakky

Mine is like Mark's, fwiw.

I always wanted to install an RD200 or the like on mine for a higher RPM range.

AAAltered

Thanks for all the info.  I've had a box of mixed gauges.....all with the proper "straight shaft".  One of my speedos goes to 100, the other to 120......I have a tach somewhere I'll check out, probably the original.  I broke the glass opening it years ago and have been running this one for years.

Ed
1971 R5
1976 RD200