This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rd400 stronger clutch question

Started by rd400greenhorn, March 03, 2019, 06:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400greenhorn

Hi guys

Iam currently working on the clutch and I have put a single rubber First and then a friction plate and a steel.
Just using 1 rubber ring at the bottom

But the manuel says rubber in between layer, but I think i remember chuck said that with these friction plates and stronger springes Its not necessary or Possible??

Can anyone confirm this? :)

But

Yamaha 179

Most of us do not use the separation rings.  Sometimes, depending on the type of plates used, you can't install them and other times they just aren't used so they couldn't cause slippage.  It is my opinion with the current high quality clutch plates that slippage doesn't occur very often but I still don't use the rings, just for insurance.  It does make disengagement after the bike sits for a long time (a week or so) difficult and engagement of first gear kills the engine (sometimes) when first started, but that is no big thing as it goes away almost immediately. 
Lyn Garland

rd400greenhorn

Allright, perfect.

How about tightening the 6 bolts on the clutch, do you torque Them?

Seizer

Quote from: rd400greenhorn on March 03, 2019, 07:35:22 AM
Allright, perfect.

How about tightening the 6 bolts on the clutch, do you torque Them?

http://www.aircooledrdclub.com/manuals/400C.pdf

Page 46 has the torque specs.

rd400greenhorn

Guys

Is it correct to keep the rubber ring on the clutch basket in the bottom, before i start putting in the  clutch fiber kit?
So i keep only the One rubber ring in the bottom

m in sc

i dotn use any. I assume you mean the one that sits inside the friction disc?

if oyu want stronger, use fzr frictions, they have more contact area and go right in. no rubber rings. just throw those things out.

rd400greenhorn

Allright ;) i Will remove it tomorrow and torque my clutch up
Thanks

rd400greenhorn

I bought a set of yz250h clutch fiber kit for the bike ( Chuck recommended)

Project updates coming up soon 😉👍

m in sc

there you go. basically same disc if not exact. they used those clutches in everything.  :toot:

SUPERTUNE

A late post,  I'm at the AHRMA vintage races now, everyone just went to bed in their race trailers.
Another note is to soak the new YZ250/FZR plates for 30 mins  before installing and I use a inch-lb torque wrench set to 58-60 in-lbs.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com