Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Tank sealer

Started by Czakky, May 04, 2020, 08:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

I'm sure it's been discussed but I couldn't find anything. Does anybody have any long term experience with a tank sealer they could recommend?

I've heard good things about POR-15 and redkote, alternatively Kreem not so much...

m in sc

caswell . i've tried everyting else, none are as good.

2 part phenolic epoxy. cures fast, no peeling. ever.  even good on fiberglass tanks.

:whatever:

https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Ws76133

I used POR-15 when the OE coating started peeling on my old BMW, worked great, but as thick as it is, not sure about using it on my RD with the crossovers.

Striker1423

Second here for Caswell. Just make sure you have your tank done the way you want it, dents.gone etc. One in, it doesn't come out. Also, buy the large motorcycle tank kit, the up to 3 gallon kit will not be enough.

Crossover tube needs to have a chunk of wire in it, or you will be drilling it out.

pdxjim

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

my trick with caswell is after the draining, lean tank towards back for final cure, and blow air though the crossovers. let sit overnight like that and you'll be good to go.

for petcock, i use tape over the hole but use 2 m6 bolts swathed with anti seize up  the holes into the tank, make sure they are longer than the ones you will use to secure the pectock, and you'll be right as rain.

bitzz

the trick to any of the tank coatings is a good clean pickled surface for the coating to adhere to.
Prep work is the secret to success.

Czakky

I'll get my order in.

m in sc

the nice thing about caswell is that if a previous liner failed, this will encapsulate the bits and flakes.

ive had a por 15 liner fail after an h1 tank i had hot tanked, then cleaned out with acetone, then dried, then used the por15 per instructions. peeled in basically a big sheet. that's when i made the switch.

Srhiskx

Caswell... I've had it in my RZ tank for 4 years and never a problem. Have 2 other RZ tanks and there both gonna get the treatment.

gwcrim

Another satisfied Caswell customer here.

Gil Gallad

before por 15 became widely available over here we had to use petseal - big mistake with modern fuels. it leeches like mad and gums everything up from the carb to the bottom of the crankcases with brown goo. now we have por 15 i've used it at least 6 times and it's been brilliant. as somebody further up said, preperation is the key [no pun intended] to good tank sealing, whichever you use. i know my personal choice, but that's me  ;D
cheers, gil.