News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Suzuki GT200 oil pump delete - what's that all about?

Started by NoRiders, May 31, 2020, 08:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRiders

Hi guys, got a question (s) about my GT200 oil pump.....the interweb is telling me to delete it and run oil/fuel mix. I'm not entirely convinced about this.

It's clearly an issue, I think? But, why remove the factory pump?

I understand they can fail catastrophically, but by the same token, I see that if they're not set up correctly the same can happen and it would not be the pump's fault as such.

There are some precise throttle cable settings and adjustments that have to coincide with similar alignments on the pump cable......adjust one and then the other, failure to do so could result in poor performance of the pump and engine failure....I get that much. If the throttle cable was adjusted but not the oil pump cable, the imbalance could contribute to the problem I reckon?

So, I don't feel like running 2T mix to be honest, it's a messy PITA....I will for the initial start up....a belt n braces approach and to give the pump time to prime. I have what appears to be a nearly new pump ......could I test it by attaching a drive to a drill and spinning it up with oil feeds and outputs?

I've heard some change the oil lines to clear so the oil flow can be visually checked, I like that and will do the same.

What lines do I have to find? The oil isn't hot (warm maybe) so rather than use the hardened lines the engine came with, what grade and size of lines do you use?

So....what do you guys reckon? Cheers - Colin

JB Weld

Tygon sells some good hose for this, although the outside diameter is quite large. I went with factory replacement on my Yamaha. I am going through setup on my pump and have to say I am a bit nervous to run it. I rebuilt the pump and it seams to function properly. You can attach a drill to test the output and can find a video in Chuck's part of this site. Good luck!

rodneya

I don't have experience with Suzuki pumps, but the Yamaha ones are very reliable as long as they are rebuilt properly and the oil tank is clean.
Not sure if I would trust one that I have not rebuilt though.

It seem that the biggest myths about two strokes are they are easy for anybody to work on, you can not ride wide flat out for long periods, pod filters are bad and removing the oil pump and going to premix will make your bike faster and more reliable.

Clear lines help give you peace of mind as you can easily see that they are full and no air bubbles.
Yambits probably has a clear line kit

Gil Gallad

yes, keep the oil pump - they really are very reliable - but like everything else, they can go wrong. i like the clear oil lines better. on my gt250's the oil lines start to yellow after a few years, so i always use red 2 stroke oil. dead easy to see if the lines are full or if there are any bubbles in there. if i use green oil it's virtually impossible to see. btw, those 200 oilpumps are very easy to set up, if a bit fiddly if you've got big hands  ;D
cheers, gil.

NoRiders

Quote from: JB Weld on May 31, 2020, 08:17:24 PM
Tygon sells some good hose for this, although the outside diameter is quite large. I went with factory replacement on my Yamaha. I am going through setup on my pump and have to say I am a bit nervous to run it. I rebuilt the pump and it seams to function properly. You can attach a drill to test the output and can find a video in Chuck's part of this site. Good luck!

I've checked out Tygon....I suppose use their 2mm i/d fuel lines for oil too. It's not under huge pressure or too hot either, is that the stuff?

I too will prime/test the pump using a drill. I'd trust the pump more than premix, so I'll defo run a pump. I think if someone had a problem, they'll tell everyone and the pumps get a bad name, but looking at the adjustment and alignment, a small adjustment on the throttle MUST then be a small adjustment on the oil cable.....if that didn't happen, that's when problems can arise.

Thank you.

NoRiders

Quote from: Gil Gallad on June 01, 2020, 07:52:50 AM
yes, keep the oil pump - they really are very reliable - but like everything else, they can go wrong. i like the clear oil lines better. on my gt250's the oil lines start to yellow after a few years, so i always use red 2 stroke oil. dead easy to see if the lines are full or if there are any bubbles in there. if i use green oil it's virtually impossible to see. btw, those 200 oilpumps are very easy to set up, if a bit fiddly if you've got big hands  ;D
cheers, gil.

OK thnx Gil, I'll defo keep the pump. Clear lines is the way to go....yellow or clear....no blue by the looks.

I'd not thought about the colour of the oil...hmmm?

NoRiders

Quote from: rodneya on May 31, 2020, 10:18:52 PM
I don't have experience with Suzuki pumps, but the Yamaha ones are very reliable as long as they are rebuilt properly and the oil tank is clean.
Not sure if I would trust one that I have not rebuilt though.

It seem that the biggest myths about two strokes are they are easy for anybody to work on, you can not ride wide flat out for long periods, pod filters are bad and removing the oil pump and going to premix will make your bike faster and more reliable.

Clear lines help give you peace of mind as you can easily see that they are full and no air bubbles.
Yambits probably has a clear line kit

I'm trying to make sense of what's out there, myths busted so to speak haha. Clearly, there is a lot of conflicting info, but on here you guys have direct experience and that's gold.

I have no intention of running wide open flat out, recognise 2Ts are not to be taken lightly and I will be running foam pods as well as rejetting as I'm running expansion pipes too. I'm prepared for a bit of fettling and will order in a few jet options and read read read.
Thank you Rodneya

quocle603

Quote from: NoRiders on May 31, 2020, 08:02:46 AM
Hi guys, got a question (s) about my GT200 oil pump.....the interweb is telling me to delete it and run oil/fuel mix. I'm not entirely convinced about this.

It's clearly an issue, I think? But, why remove the factory pump?

I understand they can fail catastrophically, but by the same token, I see that if they're not set up correctly the same can happen and it would not be the pump's fault as such.

There are some precise throttle cable settings and adjustments that have to coincide with similar alignments on the pump cable......adjust one and then the other, failure to do so could result in poor performance of the pump and engine failure....I get that much. If the throttle cable was adjusted but not the oil pump cable, the imbalance could contribute to the problem I reckon?

So, I don't feel like running 2T mix to be honest, it's a messy PITA....I will for the initial start up....a belt n braces approach and to give the pump time to prime. I have what appears to be a nearly new pump ......could I test it by attaching a drive to a drill and spinning it up with oil feeds and outputs?

I've heard some change the oil lines to clear so the oil flow can be visually checked, I like that and will do the same.

What lines do I have to find? The oil isn't hot (warm maybe) so rather than use the hardened lines the engine came with, what grade and size of lines do you use?

So....what do you guys reckon? Cheers - Colin

I'm almost positive the pump is needed because it lube the crank. It does it for my T500. Can't go to premix.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

m in sc

yeah you can on a t500. there's no oil slingers on the crank like on kaw triples(h1 for example), bearing is exposed on the t500. pumps better but you can premix them for sure. and the oil only lubes the outer bearings on the t500, inner is done by the gearbox.  :twocents: i cant speak to the 200 though

NoRiders

Quote from: m in sc on June 14, 2020, 09:03:52 PM
yeah you can on a t500. there's no oil slingers on the crank like on kaw triples(h1 for example), bearing is exposed on the t500. pumps better but you can premix them for sure. and the oil only lubes the outer bearings on the t500, inner is done by the gearbox.  :twocents: i cant speak to the 200 though

On the 200 it appears there are twin oil supply pipes from the pump outlet to tiny brass spigots (hesitate to call them jets) that sit in the barrel inlet tract. No other oilways appear to exist, so the GT/X5 engines could be run on premix. I'll maybe run on premix as well as the pump, but I'll prime the pump using a drill and only when I'm happy oil is being delivered will I run the engine for any length of time.
By all accounts minute amounts of oil are delivered and introduced to the intake according to throttle position.
The pump has a throttle operated cable that opens a valve which is synched with the carb sliders.
Any adjustment on the throttle cables required a corresponding adjustment on the pump cable too....otherwise the pump may not deliver enough oil for the rpm of the engine.

quocle603

Quote from: m in sc on June 14, 2020, 09:03:52 PM

Thanks for the info! I was reading everywhere else that it was needed and just took it as gospel.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

m in sc

im not going to lie, its better as theres a direct feed to the bearing housing which is always better. but when i redid my crank a few mos ago i looked at it carefully when i split it and yes, it could go premix for sure.

quocle603