News:

Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

How do you deal with "Buy a REAL motorcycle" Friends?

Started by Striker1423, June 15, 2020, 10:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

I can't tell you how many times I've had friends and acquaintances, not to mention random riders ask me... When are you gonna buy a REAL motorcycle? Like a Harley. Or a... *insert whatever larger displacement bike here*.

I mean, I get it, but the RD isn't a real bike? Ok, so you can't commute across the country on one and expect to enjoy yourself. But, why do so many people look down on the fun little ripper bikes? :whatever:

sav0r

www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

don't have any friends like that.  :patriot:

on occasion i get the 'why the small bike thing' or 'thats cute' comments. If im feeling really belligerent  i say 'som of us dont feel the need to compensate'.

@ bike nights, previously my ex wife rode, and now, angie rides with me. last time we went we were on the r5, her choice. so i dont get the 'chicks dig (insert x make of bike here) comments too often.  :dawg:

way back, when i would get that, my reply would be 'if you need a motorcycle to attract women, you have other issues'.

Hawaii-Mike

I agree, if they don't like my bikes too bad.  Actually these days, many people like my bikes but they are too young to know about them.  Recently a young clerk in a store looked out the window at my KH400 and said "Is that a CB?"

Old Brit

Quote from: Striker1423 on June 15, 2020, 10:16:11 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've had friends and acquaintances, not to mention random riders ask me... When are you gonna buy a REAL motorcycle? Like a Harley. Or a... *insert whatever larger displacement bike here*.

I mean, I get it, but the RD isn't a real bike? Ok, so you can't commute across the country on one and expect to enjoy yourself. But, why do so many people look down on the fun little ripper bikes? :whatever:
What amused me about this post is that in Europe folks say exactly the same.........................to Harley owners  ;D

thatguy

Tell 'em when they're paying my bills their opinion might matter. Until then STFU.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

klaird

I generally get  more oohs and aughs, or is that a two stroke when I am on the RD.  For the others well they probably  really aren't riders or they would appreciate the fact you are riding an antique bike.  I also have a Yamaha Stratoliner and I don't know how many times I have heard someone say they are not a very nimble bike which tells me they don't really know how to ride (there is a design flaw on the Stratoliner, the floorboards too low  8)).  My suggestion is just ignore them, anyone who really knows bikes wont be dogging you about riding an RD. 

m in sc

to be honest, usually surprises them when i can hang with them the whole time.  this was Sundays ride, very eclectic group.  a month ago it was led by a guy on a p200. :metal:

My ex mother in law forced my ex father inlaw into getting a harley after their church friends gave them grief for riding a 1st: concours then 2nd: vtx1100. they were in their early 60s at this point

I told her 'you guys need better friends'. I don't miss her at all.  :busey:

DM77

People love to see my bike (when it's on the road).  Esp older guys (oops! my age...)  But tbh if I had a garage, I'd love to have a 650 for the longer hauls.
77 RD400 French Blue

economan

Maybe time to trade them "Friends" in on another model.  :whistle:

rodneya

I usually get comments that there must be something wrong with my bike as it sounds weird, or to get it fixed as it is smoking. Most people dont have a clue what it actually is though.

RustyRD

Consider the source-- alot of the people making comments like that are not people who have a history with motorcycles. Like many I rode a mini bike at an early age, Tecumseh engine, yamaha jt1 mini enduro, cr125, rd,etc. True riders like em all current stable includes RD350, KZ1000 Z1-R, KZ1100A, Z900RS. Riding older bikes also speaks to your ability to keep it on the road :vroom: how hard is it to keep a new on going :umm:

27 Cycles

I've had comments both ways for sure.  While on my old RD I had a Harley guy laugh at me at a gas station and say " well, at least you're riding"..  And other times while riding my RZ I've had numerous guys on sport bikes go out of their way to get up next to me and yell things like "that two stroke is awesome, I want one so bad.."   People who don't know and appreciate all types of motorcycles are just that..  people who don't know.

Ws76133

I haven't gotten any disparaging comments while out on my RD350.  It consistently draws attention at gas stations, grocery stores and on the road. 

dgorms

I have a few old bikes and a 2006 road king. If were going for the weekend we usually take the Harley. Anything around town is on the DS7, R5,RZ, or one of the old Interceptors. What really gets them talking is when I roll in on the mostly original CL-77. Just about any one with gray hair has tails to tell about it. I have been living and breathing motorcycles since I was 10 years old(1967) . Once in a while I run into a younger person who knows whats up! I usually tell him to thank his father.................................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum