Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

UFO.s on RD350AC

Started by 2t Fan, August 21, 2020, 01:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2t Fan

Do we have to drill holes to fix UFO.s on to RD slides ?

I think what they provide is for 3.0 slides. so after fixing we have to file the slides to match UFO.s line :umm:

RDFL

This is from email by racerclam (member here) "UFOs to fit the 28s so I cut them down from the 32 size . They make for banshee 26s and 32mm and up. I cut them down to fit many different sizes. If you want do them I need the carbs also to make sure the cut outs in the bottom fit for the slide to go down for idle , not a problem."  I'm going to send him some carbs when I get a chance to clean them. Don't want to trim plastic that costs that much myself.

2t Fan

UFO model 2628-1 fits 1973-75 RD350 as per NCS. But looks like you need to drill one the fixing holes of the needle fixing plate in order to fix the UFO.s

1976RD400C

They should come with a template to use to drill the hole down through the slide. You can see it in their pics of the larger ones on the Niche site but I would call them to be sure it is included.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

2t Fan

there is an instruction sheet with a drawing regarding the drilling out of the slide and cutaway mod. i think the needle fitting plate hole also need to be drilled out ?

1976RD400C

The plate that holds the needle down doesn't need to be drilled. The screw that holds the UFO has a flat head and you will countersink the hole you make in the slide a little so the head of the screw will be flush and not interfere with that plate being able to drop down in place.

2t Fan

Actually the needle holding plate (pic attached)is fixed on to the slide by two screws. So I think one of the screw holes need to be enlarged for the UFO fixing screw to pass ?  :umm:

1976RD400C

I think what you do is remove that plate, drill and mount the UFO with the flat countersunk screw, and then put the plate back in and screw it down. I guess you will have to see where the hole is located in the UFO and make sure it isn't going to interfere with the holes for the plate screws. The UFOs come with a self tapping screw that goes into the plastic so I suppose you could relocate where the mount screw is by just drilling a new hole in the UFO.

2t Fan

Quote from: 1976RD400C on August 22, 2020, 06:35:51 PM
I think what you do is remove that plate, drill and mount the UFO with the flat countersunk screw, and then put the plate back in and screw it down. I guess you will have to see where the hole is located in the UFO and make sure it isn't going to interfere with the holes for the plate screws. The UFOs come with a self tapping screw that goes into the plastic so I suppose you could relocate where the mount screw is by just drilling a new hole in the UFO.
ok, i need to make a new hole on the slide for the UFO mounting screw and accordingly relocate the UFO mounting hole , thank you