News:

Neat little oddball bike, zero info.

Main Menu

Anyone else have Bore-Tech Carbide Bore process?

Started by Brad-Man, March 09, 2019, 12:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad-Man

Bore-Tech is defunct and I was interested in that process...

Lyn?
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

Yamaha 179

Brad:
I had the carbide bore process on a pair of race cylinders a long time ago and found them to be quite effective.  The hardening of the liner lengthened the life of the liner but I don't think it helped the life of the pistons much at all.  The process might be more effective on a four stroke, since there are no ports in the liner, but it was helpful in my opinion.  Nica-sil, a much more expensive treatment, is much
better but should only be used when you have reached full development of the cylinder, in other words, ultimate porting.
Lyn Garland

Brad-Man

Hi Lyn!

I remember the thread from the old board that you participated in.

I have some Stage II ported heads with the exhaust ports filled on for a flat surface that need boring from 64.5 I believe.

I was thinking of getting them bored to 65 and the Carbide Bore Process done to them but alas, Bore-Tech is no more.

I have a set of the new Superior WEBCO heads to use on them.

I Guess Millennium is the place to go now?

Or is there anywhere else that does as good a job boring and Nikasiling?
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

Jspooner

Millenium does a great job. They did my TZ cylinder for me.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Yamaha 179

I agree with Joe.  Millennium is the best I have found.  But think about this:  If your cylinders are on Stage 2 porting you might want to go a bit farther some day and if you have the cylinders nica-siled you would have wasted that money.  If it were me, I'd get the cylinders bored and run them.  If you find that they are exactly what you want wait until you wear those pistons out and then send the cylinders and new pistons to Millennium and have them coated to the new piston size.  Won't cost you a cent more and you will have ensured you covered your bases.
Lyn

Dvsrd

I do see the advantage of nicasil cylinders, but won't the rather poor heat conduction from steel liner to alloy cylinder still be a major disadvantage with RD cylinders?

I am sure companies like Athena and Polini would be technically able to make all alloy Nikasil coated AC RD cylinders.
After all, they make big bore kits for various 125 singles up to 170 cc, maybe more. And loads of 70-80 cc kits for 50 cc mopeds.
I wonder if EC has approached Athena regarding this? RD350 and 400 cylinders with improved transfer ducts, slightly larger reed cavity, and Nikasil coating.  If not, it may well be worth it. I would happily pay 1000 USD for a set...

bitzz

"I wonder if EC has approached Athena regarding this? RD350 and 400 cylinders with improved transfer ducts, slightly larger reed cavity, and Nikasil coating.  If not, it may well be worth it. I would happily pay 1000 USD for a set..."

You are describing TR3 cylinders.

Dvsrd

I thought TR3 were piston ported? And had hard chrome cylinders?

teazer

They were and when they need to be re-plated, send them to Millennium and have them strip off hard chrome and re-plate with Nickle silicon carbide.  I have ebven done taht to a brand new (NOW) TZ250A cylinder.

202wagon

I had a set of SC stage 2+ cylinders  nicasiled @ Powerseal USA 10 + years ago for my '74. It's been thrashed for long periods of time on hot summer days many times...never any issues with excess heat or overheating.
1972 R5C  1972 DS7  1974 RD350A
1975 YZ80B  1975 GT80/YZ hybrid
1977 YZ80D 1977 LB80-3D
1978 RD400  www.oilypipes.com

Brad-Man

So now that Bore-Tech is gone, I guess we need to know who else does a great job on boring and honing two stroke cylinders in the eastern half of the country.

Input welcomed.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

Jspooner

Quote from: Brad-Man on March 10, 2019, 07:58:22 PM
So now that Bore-Tech is gone, I guess we need to know who else does a great job on boring and honing two stroke cylinders in the eastern half of the country.

Input welcomed.

Chuck

teazer

I had a set of GT750 barrels bored and honed by Redline in Kenosha, WI.  Good work.  A set of RD350 bored and honed in Palatine IL recently along with a set of GT750 barrels for a different project. 

If I were on the East Coast I'd go to Chuck but since I'm in the Midwest, I'd consider Bill Bune in MN as well.  For plated barrels it would be Millennium in WI.

Jspooner

If you use priority mail to ship it really doesn't matter where you ship from and to, if you live on the west coast and want to use chuck it's still going to be 18.00 and 3-4 days to ship. So it's really more about who can do it and not where they are located.

teazer

That's all true.  I didn't phrase that prior response very well.  I was trying to say that there are a few places around if you look.  In my experience, it's not so much where to send them as WHO to send them to.  Some shops are much better than others.