Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

My new ride

Started by Jspooner, January 04, 2020, 12:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jspooner

I've been bicycling for years, both recreational and racing, but mostly just recreational especially the last few years. I've done both road and off road and by far off road is the most fun. Ive even ridden in the winter on the roads with studded tires. I've recently picked up a fat bike so I could enjoy winter trail riding. I went today for the first time. Wow, what a blast. I now understand the attraction to fat bikes and winter trail riding. If you live in an area where this is available to you I highly recommend giving it a try.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Organicjedi

Love it! Cool fat bike.

What kind of MPG do you get? Sorry, had to.  ;D

85RZwade

I've read that studded knobbies on dirt bikes are big fun in the snow; do they work well for bicycles off-road?
Wade
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

Quote from: 85RZwade on January 04, 2020, 06:09:23 PM
I've read that studded knobbies on dirt bikes are big fun in the snow; do they work well for bicycles off-road?
Wade

I do not have studs yet and the trails were not icey today so studs weren't really needed.  If you were to spend a lot of time riding on the road you would need studs. Basically they keep you from falling so easily.

Czakky

Looks like fun! I used ride my bicycle daily for transportation, pre-kid. I hardly ride a push bike these days.

rd400canuck

wow cool... must be one hell of a good workout powering one of those things around. Amazing way to work on staying healthy I bet.

Jspooner

It is a pretty good work out. They don't handle like you'd think they do. It's amazing how confident the big tires make you feel in the snow though. It's best to ride on hard packed.

sav0r

I don't ride as much as I used to. I used to ride at least 30 miles a day. Starting a family put the brakes on that type of fun...

I always really loved riding in the winter. I just used the largest tires I could fit on the bike. Performance was surprising, and when the cars were snowed in, I often was still able to get around on my bicycle. I've never owned a fat bike, don't know that I really have any desire to, but I can certainly understand why it would be fun.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Jspooner

Quote from: sav0r on January 05, 2020, 07:29:30 PM
I don't ride as much as I used to. I used to ride at least 30 miles a day. Starting a family put the brakes on that type of fun...

I always really loved riding in the winter. I just used the largest tires I could fit on the bike. Performance was surprising, and when the cars were snowed in, I often was still able to get around on my bicycle. I've never owned a fat bike, don't know that I really have any desire to, but I can certainly understand why it would be fun.

I never had the desire to own one either until I tried one (this one) in the snow. Most of my buddies have them and I could never wrap my head around owning one. Now I know why. Part of the fun is being outside doing something enjoyable and not being miserable. If you have the right clothing (you don't need much) you stay warm, you can actually work up a sweat if you aren't careful. The hardest part about it is knowing how to dress for the temp and keeping your hands and feet warm, but even for that they make some pretty amazing stuff these days.

sav0r

We just don't get enough snow in Pittsburgh to really justify a fat bike. I would only be able to utilize it like five days a year, unless I decided to ride it without snow. If I lived 40 minutes north it would be a different story, but we have a high of 40f in the city today, there's not any snow to be found.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Halmic

They are fun, Joe.  I got quite a workout in the powder on mine yesterday.

Jspooner

I picked up another new toy. It's a 2018 Specialized Epic comp carbon. This thing handles like it's on rails and handles the bumps perfectly with the brain rear suspension. I went from a 2006 aluminum framed 26" Stumpjumper. All I can say is WOW.........I am super happy I bought this bike.

mnein

Really sweet mountain bike.

Organicjedi

Nice upgrade! I have a 90's Cannondale aluminum rigid. I can understand what an upgarde would feel like.