Config My engine rd400

Started by rd400greenhorn, July 11, 2020, 02:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400greenhorn

Hi guys
Thought i would hear some engine imputs

So, iam restoring My newly aquired rd400, and the engine as well

Hopefully the crank is good but would like if you had Any tips/experince
Which seals should i change now what the engine is out?

My engine goal: torque, reliable?Rd400 engine ( and No, not completely stock)

I Want to run with stock air filter box and oilpump and some sort of pipes (not stock)

m in sc

I'd split cases reseal everything and inspect crank.

85RZwade

:agree: you'll never regret doing it right the first time
I post waayyy too much

rd400greenhorn

Allright 😁 I Will split the cases and inspect everything. Hopefully no need to repair...

Yamaha 179

To correctly check the crank you will need to pull the outer mains (support the crank on V blocks under the inner main bearings) so you should replace the outers and the seals.  If you haven't the tools required, dial indicators, support devices, etc, either Chuck Q or I can check the crank for you.  Only cost is the postal charge to and from you to me and I think Chuck provides the same service at no charge
but I'm not absolutely sure.    If your crank needs truing there may be a small fee but it isn't much. 
Lyn Garland

m in sc

pretty sure hes based out of Denmark.  :twocents:

rd400greenhorn

Quote from: Yamaha 179 on July 11, 2020, 01:30:06 PM
To correctly check the crank you will need to pull the outer mains (support the crank on V blocks under the inner main bearings) so you should replace the outers and the seals.  If you haven't the tools required, dial indicators, support devices, etc, either Chuck Q or I can check the crank for you.  Only cost is the postal charge to and from you to me and I think Chuck provides the same service at no charge
but I'm not absolutely sure.    If your crank needs truing there may be a small fee but it isn't much. 
Lyn Garland

Thanks alot for the offer, i would love to, but I live in Denmark ( the small country in Europe) so if i choose to go that route Its either local or UK for rebuild 😉

But again, thank you for the offer

dusty350

Hi
This may help you;

https://rdlccrazy.proboards.com/thread/50276/crank-rebuild

And a complete engine rebuild;

https://rdlccrazy.proboards.com/thread/49716/rd400e-engine-rebuild

I used PJME in the Uk for the crank rebuild. Excellent service and quality :clap:

Good luck, they are simple engines to work on.

Dusty ;D

rd400greenhorn

Dusty
Thank you, thats good stuff!

I used Them once before on the custom rd iam also building, maybe i Will use Them on this engine as well...

Cheers

rd400greenhorn

But so, what do you recommend?
Stock carbs, airbox with uni filter

Do I get v force intake and boost bottle?

Like the spec 2 ive seen, with interval muffler i think, anyone knows where to get those?

rd400greenhorn

For info
I also have a y boot and powerfilter lying around, 🤔

Yamaha 179

Whenever I could I removed the stock air box and used aftermarket filters.  I did that on all my street RDs and the race RDs, rules permitting; it just makes working on the bikes so much easier and makes them cleaner looking.  When I first started the only thing available was individual pod filters, so that is what we used, then the Y boot system became available and that is what I used.  As to reed systems; I suggest you just clean up the OEM reeds.  You are building a street bike and I don't know anything about your riding conditions in Denmark but you do not need a V Force system and boost bottle.  Crossover tube MIGHT be of some value to smooth things out a bit but I would try the stock set up first.  I am a strong believer in keeping the engines as stock as possible for street use.
Lyn Garland

m in sc

heres my suggestion. I'd leave it all stock except for the ignition.  jncluding the air box, especially if it's going to retain stock pipes. then its basically a 'paint by numbers' rider.   :twocents:

rd400greenhorn

I dont Want to retain stock pipes!.
But yes, i Will figure it out.

m in sc

gotcha. then id go with a y bot and k&n with stock carbs. maybe fit some yz reed petals.

i've resisted the urge to go too far down the rabbit hole on my r5 for years,. chambers, rd cyls, etc. (which i have literally just laying around) However, with 2 hot rodded rds its nice to get on a relatively stock bike and just ride sometimes.  Just my perspective.  :twocents: