News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Help with reassembly 75 RD350 | ongoing help :)

Started by patastinky, July 13, 2020, 12:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patastinky

Hello,

Finally after A very, very long time. I'm putting the motor back together. I could use some help though. I don't quite remember where some parts go, in which order or it's not clear to me what the ft-lb tq is for some of the bolts/nuts. Appreciate the help; thank you in advance.

Q: Should I use loctite and tq to specs? Also, the washer has a dome shape to it; which way should it go?
A: Yes. If the motor is on it's side, the dome faces up. In other words, the dome side sits up against the nut.

Q: Does this washer fit up against the case like this?
A: Yes.

Q: Is this the right order and should the cylindrical washer stick out over those teeth like that?
A: Yes

Q: What is the Ft-tq for the bottom nuts?
A: 23

1975 RD350 (under construction)

m in sc

patastinky

Quote from: m in sc on July 13, 2020, 05:32:55 PM
that looks correct.

On the 1st pic. Do you use loctite? Also, would you know the ft-tq?

m in sc

i usually use a bit of blue. and admittedly i rap it down with an airgun and leave it, but don't do what i do, torque it. I'm not sure what the spec is but its in the tech section somewhere.
i have to say, you got a bit liberal witht eh sealant around the seal. dont do that next time. the rubber will seal just fine against a clean case. .02

patastinky

Quote from: m in sc on July 14, 2020, 03:56:49 PM
i usually use a bit of blue. and admittedly i rap it down with an airgun and leave it, but don't do what i do, torque it. I'm not sure what the spec is but its in the tech section somewhere.
i have to say, you got a bit liberal witht eh sealant around the seal. dont do that next time. the rubber will seal just fine against a clean case. .02

Gotcha. Thanks for the tip. First time doing this and was following a video posted online where he sealed the case. To be honest I probably put more down than he showed in the video, but I will def take that into account next time I have to do Maintenance. 

Maybe you can help me with his part.

Q: Does the washer go in front of the clip or up against the case behind the plastic white gear?
A: pin, gear, then washer than clip

m in sc

goes (from cover IN towards motor) clip, then washer, then pin, then gear, then star washer, then nut.

patastinky

Quote from: m in sc on July 14, 2020, 04:42:52 PM
goes (from cover IN towards motor) clip, then washer, then pin, then gear, then star washer, then nut.

It goes on this (blue circle). I don't know that I have a Star washer & nut? All I had in the bag was the picture in the above post. I'll take another look around my work bench to see if I spot it.

m in sc

my bad was thinking it was the oil pump

out from tach drive: washer, pin, gear, clip.

patastinky

Quote from: m in sc on July 14, 2020, 05:13:13 PM
my bad was thinking it was the oil pump

out from tach drive: washer, pin, gear, clip.

No worries. Appreciate the help. Thank you.

m in sc

woops! correction! its pin, gear, then washer than clip. my bad  :cheers:

patastinky

Quote from: m in sc on July 14, 2020, 08:10:28 PM
woops! correction! its pin, gear, then washer than clip. my bad  :cheers:

Haha. All good. Thank you for double checking. Setting this up in a bit. I'm sure I'll have more questions about assembly.  :metal:

patastinky

Q: Do I have to wrap the hook around more than once?
A: No. Just around till it reaches the pin to where it hooks up too.

Q: How should I position the nub (blue arrow)?
A: Downwards and to the clockwise up against the case.

Q: This washer is has a concave (dome) shape to it. I placed the section that sticks out towards the case (not towards the nut). Is that correct? Or other way around? Hard to tell in the service manual.
A: Dome side up against the nut.  ==> ) NUT

Q: Should there be some kind of lock or washer that folders over this nut? I know the banshees have it.
A: No. Use blue loctie and tq to 65ft lbs. Use an EBC tool to hold hub. Tool part # is CT008.

Q: From top to bottom. Is this the correct order to install this sprocket? Top (thick washer) would be up against the motor > out.
A: Yes. Thick Washer > Sprocket > Lock Washer > Nut

Striker1423

https://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=50421.0

This is the best guide I've found and I was able to follow it and rebuild my RD250 with no issues having never done it before. To answer about the washers. Concave washer always faces the nut. So, the bulge faces the nut and the outer ring faces the clutch. 

Nut ( Clutch. <--  The parenthesis is the washer in this case.

The extra circlip has to be for either the oil pump wheel, or you missed it somewhere else. I can tell you for sure it does not go on the clutch basket nut or main drive nut.

patastinky

Quote from: Striker1423 on July 15, 2020, 10:30:26 AM
https://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=50421.0

This is the best guide I've found and I was able to follow it and rebuild my RD250 with no issues having never done it before. To answer about the washers. Concave washer always faces the nut. So, the bulge faces the nut and the outer ring faces the clutch. 

Nut ( Clutch. <--  The parenthesis is the washer in this case.

The extra circlip has to be for either the oil pump wheel, or you missed it somewhere else. I can tell you for sure it does not go on the clutch basket nut or main drive nut.

Thanks for the heads up on the washer. Thank you also for the link. Wow. It looks amazing. I'm going to view this on my computer later tonight. It looks pretty detailed. Sweet!!

dgorms

Striker, thanks for that link, very straight forward, informative.................................................................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum