News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

What parts need to be replaced when reassembling an RD400 crankcase?

Started by ElFuegoBlanco, July 13, 2020, 06:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElFuegoBlanco

I'm getting ready to begin reassembling my RD400c motor. Aside from gaskets and oil seals, what should I replace as part of the bottom end refresh?

I don't want to get halfway through and realize I probably should have replaced that $2 part I didn't think of.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Hardy

First step would be to check your crank and gearbox are within yamaha specs, this would tell you what to replace.

ElFuegoBlanco

I'll have to see if there's a shop in the area that can check. I don't have the tools to do that kind of work myself, unfortunately. I doubt there's a shop within 100 miles of me that I'd trust to do it.

pdxjim

Unless its been mercilessly abused, I wouldn't worry too much about the trans.

Just look for chips or wear at the gear faces and dogs, and bluing and wear at the shift forks.

The crank should get looked at.  No sesne throwing a bunch of topend money at a motor with a duff crank.

Where you at, anyway?
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

ElFuegoBlanco

Quote from: pdxjim on July 14, 2020, 02:22:43 AM

The crank should get looked at.  No sesne throwing a bunch of topend money at a motor with a duff crank.

Where you at, anyway?

I'm in northern WV, near Morgantown.
The top end is currently off at a shop in Mt pleasant, PA being looked at. There are machine shops locally, I'm just not sure about them. In regards to the crankshaft, what needs to be checked? If it's not motorcycle-specific, maybe a local shop could do it