This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

general babbling about master cyl and the single blue or gold dot caliper

Started by m in sc, July 22, 2020, 05:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

So,

I have 2 rds running single yamaha calipers, one blue dot, one gold dot. In the quest to find that good lever feel, ive tried a bunch of different units, 12mm, 13mm , 10mm, 11mm.

from what -I- have found, the 11mm master from either a KX85 or YZ85 (nissin) seems to be the -perfect- ratio for these setups with a stainless line and a big rotor. only downside is slightly shorter lever (which i actually like) and no brake switch.

However,

you can get a banjo bolt brake switch. this takes place of the bolt, has 2 wires, and bam. done.

I used a grom master for a while, and while good, was a bit wooden for my tastes, as was the KTM390 duke one.

Just passing along some info. hope this helps somebody. I have found them for 130 ish, i think the KX ones.

oxford

For reference, do you know what size the Grom and Duke masters were?

Evans Ward

Years back after a lot of research on blue vs gold dot calipers, I found the difference was that the gold dot has aluminum pistons internally vs steel ones in the blue dot ones.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Kawtriplefreak

Frank B did the research when we did our conversions and found out that a Yamaha Zuma Scooter has an 11 MM Master Cylinder. I bought one used on flea bay for $30 shipped if memory serves. It comes with a brake light switch and bolts right on. They work perfectly for this application.

url=https://postimg.cc/WFFRBByw][/url]

m in sc

pretty sure the grom and ktm ones are 12. not sure.

good note on the zuma one timmy, you told me that, i completely forgot that.  :patriot: :cheerleader:

retaRD

I'm running a single silver dot with a Duc 320mm rotor, braided line, and a Yamaha warrior master (four wheeler).
I haven't felt better brakes on another single rotor bike.

SUPERTUNE

I like the Ducati 320mm with bluedot 4 pot R6 caliper and the XS400 14mm master.
Just did a this setup on Paul's STG 2 '76 RD400
Chuck

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Kawtriplefreak

I am surprised you can use a 14MM master cylinder with a single caliper. Mine was very wooden feeling with a 14 and marginal at 12. That's why I went on the hunt for an 11MM. That being said if it works that's good.

pdxjim

I'm running a 12mm EX300 master with blue spot caliper and 320mm disc on my TDR.

Feels great and night n' day difference to the stock setup.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

i was pretty ok with a 12, like the 11 more, just my .02 preference.  fzr rotor though.

Kawtriplefreak

Organicjedi

Quote from: Kawtriplefreak on July 25, 2020, 11:11:58 AM
I am surprised you can use a 14MM master cylinder with a single caliper. Mine was very wooden feeling with a 14 and marginal at 12. That's why I went on the hunt for an 11MM. That being said if it works that's good.

The stock MC on a US spec RD is over 15mm (5/8) with the single stock caliper. Wooden? A bit. 14mm would be an improvement. Not enough for me to change it though. I would if I ever had to replace it for some reason.

I'm sure the feel would be a lot worse with a blue dot and the MC would have to be changed. Glad all you guys have done the experimenting already.

m in sc

actually a lot of people prefer a 13 on a stock rd caliper. I tried it didn't like it, prefer a 14. have a 12 on the rear on on the lc, gives really good feel with a much shorter brake lever.

:twocents:

Dvsrd

Quote from: Kawtriplefreak on July 25, 2020, 11:11:58 AM
FWIW, the Yamaha "...dot" calipers have a bit snakker pistons than the equally available Brembo 4 piston calipers (34/34), so work better with a small MC. Stock RD calipers, as well as Brembo work great with a 13 mm MC