Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Vitos RD350 crankshaft

Started by RDSingh, July 14, 2020, 02:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

Tiawan may be capable of excellent products, and the castings may look good. But it is not the casting that is going to fail. The cranks come with low quality bearings that have a history of failures. On a low power stock engine that doesn't get thrashed you may be fine

If you are going to run one, go in with your eyes open and know what you are buying. Dont think it is from a company with a good name in Banshee parts. At a bare minimum I would swap out the outer and small end bearings for something decent.

m in sc

have you personally split an aircooled rd crank from there? not a banshee one, but an rd one?

i can tell you that the crank i have is sitting under a chuck-q ported drag top end and hasn't been an issue in 3+ years.   :twocents:

to your point: i have seen some real shit out of vitos as well, but not on the rd cranks from anyone i've heard with direct experience.

RMRD

Another Vito's crank user here.
I bought mine in Jan 2017, installed in March of that year.
I now have 7619 miles on it in my '75 with porting, pipes, carbs.   
All street riding, highway and city... including 500 miles beating the hell out of it at the gap last year.
Time bomb?   Who knows.  Will certainly post again if something newsworthy develops, as I too had lots of concerns about these at the time I purchased.  The info will be valuable.

SoCal250

Wow never knew there were so many Vito's RD cranks in use by our members.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Dvsrd

At least that Vitos crank has the advantage of not having any lead weights that can come loose.

Djg8493

I can vouch for the Taiwanese manufacturing capabilities, even on the bearings.  I have personally spend a ton of time auditing automotive parts manufacturing facilities all over Asia and Taiwan has some of the best capabilities.  Sure they are not always perfect but if you are at all familiar with the culture there they are very proud people and have a much different approach to manufacturing than the other parts of Asia. 
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

m in sc

^ agreed. Vietnam in some areas as well.   :twocents:

Hawaii-Mike

I agree about Taiwanese products being of high quality.  An example is the replacement brake master cylinders for Kawasaki's on e-bay and many other sites.  They generally cost about $50-$60 bucks and look similar to the originals.  I grew tired of rebuilding master cylinders and sometimes they didn't work right after my rebuild.

That said, I recently bought one of Evans Ward's refurbished original Kawasaki master cylinders and it looks great for a good price.

teazer

I fitted one to a high HP 350 a couple of years back and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it looked.  Not that looking nice is exactly an engineering evaluation, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality.

At the price, it's great value compared to rebuilding an old crank. Wish they did a 64mm stoke version though.... I'd rebuild a 400 crank if I had to but that's only 62mm stroke and I need a longer (+10mm) for a project and I don't want to machine the crankcases any more than I have to. ...

dgorms

I hear the same complaints about "Yambits" stuff! I , personally have been satisfied with 99% of the parts I have received from them. Never dealt with Vitos, but have heard a lot of people dissing them without firsthand knowledge, " he said, they said, I heard, don't do this, blah blah blah............................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum