News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Have a buddy selling a Suzuki gt750 — value, things to look for?

Started by Joshua, July 13, 2020, 08:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua

So my good friends dad has a water buffalo he is selling. I'm having a look at it on Wednesday. Don't have any details, but know it's been sitting in a garage for at least 10 years. All the parts are there, mostly assembled from what I hear.

My question is what the heck should I look for and what's the value structure. It may not have a title, which would def have to be worked out, but he said he may be able to find it. Any info would be appreciated. I'll update with pics when I have them.

sav0r

Obviously a title will make a huge difference in value.

Otherwise, you need to see the condition. The motor will almost certainly need a going through just based on age. As for the rest of it, what condition is it in?
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Old Brit

Motor could well be fine, all depends on the conditions it's been kept in, no matter what if it ain't seize get some 2T oil into the bores and get it running before tearing it down
Carbs will need strip/clean/refurb, new diaphragms are if possible to find, floats are often junk but everything is available and isn't a problem. Every chance the vac. controlled fuel tap will need rebuild/replacing, they free flow on Prime.
Fuel tank could well be beyond usable and finding a rust free one won't be cheap.
Exhaust system if poor can be replaced (if the bike isn't an early J or K model) with either very expensive replicas or expansions (any model)
All the chrome parts are available as NOS/pattern parts
Nice seat bases are becoming hard to find
Apart from that they're just another motorcycle and all the usual 5hit'll need checking/changing/resealing.

As for value, anything between $2k - $14k
One final thing to note, although virtually everything is available it's all top $$$$$$$$$

Joshua

Thanks guys. He sent me pics, but can't really see much. I'll be putting eyes on it Wednesday hopefully.

Joshua

Well it's rough. Title says '75. Obviously tank has been painted, says originally blue. It's free and kicks over. Sitting for at least 10-12 years. Seat pan is probably salvageable, I was thinking this was at least good because they were problematic. Every cable and line would have to be replaced, and I think I can save the tank. Nope it wasn't put away proper.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Evans Ward

Yep, not put away properly by looks of the latest pics posted. Looks like a lot of corrosion and surface rust especially for a garaged bike. Close to salt water/ ocean? Obviously missing full air box assembly (pricey- hope he still has it) but does have the correct BS40 CV carbs still there. If you are looking for a project, this may do but personally, I'd try and find a nicer example and they are out there. This would be a parts bike for me to disassemble and sell off desirable individual parts. All up to you as to your plans. Title and price?  I say $1000-$1200 tops on price worth. They are good bikes once sorted, just think you are going to have a lot of expensive costs just to bring it up to running state not even addressing aesthetics.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Gene Ungar

It does look like a good project.  As Evan said, the airbox is gone.  Likely in the search of more power (which does not always work).  That may mean that there are other surprises (like porting) waiting inside the engine.  It's nothing that can't be brought back, but would mean a used set of cylinders.  The fork tubes are also toast and will need replacing.  Plus the usual master and wheel cylinder rebuilds, etc., etc. etc.

I would say $1000-$2000 also, but would expect to put a bunch of money into the rebuild.  If you are able to do basic mechanical work, it will keep the costs down.  Plus you will learn a thing or two along the way (I always do on my restos).

Regarding the title - in Texas it's easy to do a transfer with a lost title.  You just have the owner of record fill out a form and you supply it with your application for title.  No physical title needed.  I'm guessing that Florida has something similar - you just need to find out the process.

Assuming that your friend's dad is available it ought to be easy-peasy.

teazer

It sure looks like an M model (75) with those forks and barrels.  Crank will 99% be toast with rust and or cracked seals, but that's not too hard to rebuild - send it to Bill Bune in Anoka MN.

Barrels will probably have rust but they can be bored and fit a set of CruzinImage pistons.  Transmissions are pretty tough as long as there's not too much rust above the oil level. Unless the tank leaks, it can probably be saved.  Fenders are getting hard to find and expensive and exhaust rust out but replicas are available at a price.

Carbs are easy to rebuild and even the shaft seals are still available. Airboxes come up on ebay from time to time if you want to restore it to stock. The rest is simple (but heavy).

If the fork legs are too pitted, you could bore the triples out and fit say GSX1100 legs or Gold wing legs or almost any other front end if you don't mind it not being stock. 

Price is highly negotiable.  I bought three at $500 each with titles in similar condition and one for $200 with title in worse condition.  What you are prepared to pay and the other guy is prepared to take is a whole other question.

Fully restored they would sell for 8500 or so in the US and up to say 10-12k in the UK but it will cost more than that to get there.

Joshua

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to pick it up, but have decided to part it out. $350 is the number my buddy and I settled on and he knows I'll be parting it out. I know it's not ideal, but if it was a bike I always wanted, I'd dive in. This will help me get my rd finished up, and with a vapor honing machine I can refurbish parts up that may have more value but give people a chance at some nice parts. Of course I feel guilty about parting  it out, but it is what it is. I have time to do so.

Old Brit

Good decision, you could buy the best one in the world for less than that'd cost to sort it.

teazer

How good are the fenders?  I might need a pair for another project?

Joshua

When I pick it up I'll get a hold of you. Pm me and I'll give you my number.