Hyosung 200 front end on a RD350

Started by patastinky, August 07, 2020, 09:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patastinky

1975 RD350 (under construction)

350GUY

Too heavy, dual disc.....
Go for Honda groom set-up...
But that's me, I trust them Japanese....

rodneya

I doubt they are too heavy, and nothing wrong with dual disks on the front of an RD, Just as long as it is not a pair of the stock boat anchors.

Id say that people use them as they are probably dirt cheap on ebay

Gil Gallad

i put some on my big bang gt250 about 5 years ago, but mine were single disc. had to use a gt185 hub as the gt250 was too wide. other than that it's an easy fit. fitted without mods to the 250, even the head bearings were the same. oh yes, one more thing, the thing/bracket that holds the speedo drive in place was on the right instead of the left. again, a replacement was easy to find  ;D  i don't know about rd yokes, but using hyosung yokes [triple tree to you] i had to scallop the fuel tank out or i only got about 10mm of turn each way. good old cafe racer mod  8)
cheers, gil.
p.s. heating the fuel tank up to batter the scallops in it can be very dangerous  :eek: luckily the tank i used had been sitting empty with tap and cap off for several years.

85RZwade

There are scads of these front ends on eBay, priced from reasonable all the way down to cheap. I don't know anything about the quality or performance of these parts, but I can see the appeal of a USD front end that bolts right in.
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

Quote from: 85RZwade on August 11, 2020, 04:42:59 AM
There are scads of these front ends on eBay, priced from reasonable all the way down to cheap. I don't know anything about the quality or performance of these parts, but I can see the appeal of a USD front end that bolts right in.

Most Japanese USD front ends will bolt right in with just two RD bottom steering stem bearings and maybe a spacer or two.

m in sc

^ true.

also you can swap the stems. the steering stop issue due to different offsets and wheel mounting usually is the big work. (if you want spokes or 400 mags)

sav0r

And the same issues exist for the Hyosung setup as they do for every other swap, you still need spring rate and damping corrections to get everything where it needs to be. Most forgo that work, which IMO is why swaps generally aren't that much, if any, of an improvement over stock. Granted the stock RD forks are about as garbage as you can get, but tuned up they seem to be okay. So doing a swap isn't some magic bullet.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

agreed. some are close though. the fzr front i have is really good but i had to work with fork oil rates. 2nd get ninja 250 forks are really good but too long and i hate using the ninja wheels on an rd, looks shit (sorry). but the brakes are perfection. Ive ridden a few, not bad at all.

a good set of stock forks with valves added, proper springs are great though. BUT, if your forks are hammered, a swap isn't  a bad idea either.   as chris said, most just slap on and go w/out tuning them.

:wave:

sav0r

For my FZR swap I put the cartidge emulators in, run less preload on the stock & tired FZR springs, and leave a spot more air gap of something like 135mm (+15mm over FZR setup). They are still a bit stiff for my bike at 270lbs me and a now fat 160lbs, but it's not harsh or unbearable, just a spot stiffer than I need as I never bottom them. I can get the correct amount of sag with this setup, rake is good, though I run the chassis a bit higher than I'd like, the rear is a bit high for the rear suspension geometry. Really I should drop the front a bit more and bring the rear down with it.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

i went eventually with fj forks (shorter) eventually and different spacers as well, but my bikes heavier id think and so am i. same issue with raising bike a bit but handles beautifully.

idr5c

Quote from: sav0r on August 11, 2020, 12:29:26 PM
And the same issues exist for the Hyosung setup as they do for every other swap, you still need spring rate and damping corrections to get everything where it needs to be. Most forgo that work, which IMO is why swaps generally aren't that much, if any, of an improvement over stock. Granted the stock RD forks are about as garbage as you can get, but tuned up they seem to be okay. So doing a swap isn't some magic bullet.

:clap: This  :clap: I'm astonished how many bikes I've blown past on the track that had a fancy USD front end but no setup work put into it, while I have the "shitty" (their words, not mine) stock SV forks with the correct springs, oil and preload for me.

Stephen Phillips
WMRRA #494
http://www.wmrra.com

Gil Gallad

unfortunately some people think putting uprated forks [and anything else for that matter] is the end of it, sort of fit and forget. like anything else they need to be 'tuned in' to the bike they're fitted to  ;D
cheers, gil.