News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

points timing question

Started by Premiumjo, August 22, 2020, 03:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

i recently had issues on my t500. turned out to be the actual wire in the harness powering the coil was bad, was intermittent and would cause one to come and go here and there.  Not the connection, the actual wire.

Dvsrd

In any case, supplying the coils directly from the battery, via a fuse and a relay is the best option for any non-cdi RD ignition. The original coil power has a rather convoluted path from battery to coils.

2t Fan

How about lifting the head and setting timing ? is it a better / easier way to set timing ?

m in sc

why would you take the head off?  the plug is centered, use a dial gauge.

2t Fan

Sure, just saw someone taking off the head in a timing video which made me thinking !

quocle603

I've seen people take off heads to time as well but it makes life way easier to just get a dial indicator, find your point and set your timing to that.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

2t Fan

Premiumjo

Reviving this old post.
I thought i had this fixed, but i cant seem to set the point timing on either side without disconnecting a coil wire or propping open the opposite side points. When one side is closed, the other side goes to ground through the coil, the ballast resistor, and the opposite side points. If i unplug either coil wire or prop open the opposite side breaker point, it works as normal (test light goes out when points open). When i put a meter on the red wires coming out of the ballast resistor, i have continuity. Is this normal? Never had this problem before.

m in sc

Premiumjo

Thanks for the link. Really good instruction. I've never set the points with the ignition on. I've always just used a continuity tester or a meter.  With the 12 volt bulb with the 2 leads, one clips on the points terminal, where do you connect the other lead?
Thank you.

2t Fan

is there a video of someone setting up the timing on a Dyna Vintage smoke iggy ?  :umm:

pidjones

Quote from: Premiumjo on May 21, 2022, 11:32:26 PM
Thanks for the link. Really good instruction. I've never set the points with the ignition on. I've always just used a continuity tester or a meter.  With the 12 volt bulb with the 2 leads, one clips on the points terminal, where do you connect the other lead?
Thank you.
Good ground. With key ON, light should be on with points OPEN, then light OFF when they close. This uses the 12 volts from the battery through the coil primary to operate the light. The plugs should fire as the points open (light goes OFF) and the field in the coil rapidly collapses. The coils might get warm and this will run the battery down if left hooked for long.

I have built a points test box with its own 9 volt battery, an LED, and a piezo buzzer. The buzzer allows me to not have to watch two things at once, and the box is used with the key OFF.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Premiumjo

Thanks. That is how I've always done static timing. I use a light with a battery in it and the light goes out when the points open. Never had the issue where the right side goes to ground when the left points are closed. Gonna put everything back together and see if I can get both sides to spark

pidjones

It happens on a GoldWing GL1000 with two sets of points for the four cylinders. We just put a piece of plastic between the points we aren't setting.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"