Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Like stray cats i tell ya. 72 DS7

Started by m in sc, December 21, 2021, 11:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

mmm the best kind, next to red and orange lol.

m in sc

received the rubber bits from Sumo rubber, so the airbox is back in and connected. also got some sidecover tabs, and fork seals & viton gas cap seals.

few pics, carbs rebuilt using the 26mm carb i procured on here, and the stock airbox with a good fliter (its better than it looks in the pics) jetting set back to bone stock.

prior to cleaning it up a bit

also installed a vintage smoke Dyna that i bought from a member on here that tested ok.

the way -i- wire them, is i ran a power wire up the stock harness boot, and used a bullet connector from vintage connections  at the joint boot, then ran it along the stock harness sleeving as well . made a plug in junction between the rear brake switch power  (brown lead) that makes it a plug in w out cutting any wires.  I also replaced the points wires from the stock 4 pin plug to new ones and used bullet connectors under the LH cover. all reversible if need be.  No scotch locks!  :dawg:

fired right up, but need to verify timing and repaint LH cover.

Striker1423

m in sc

bit of an update.

bikes been running well, so i really hate painted chrome, it just irritates me. so, I had a rear fender from an rd already, but decent front r5/ds7 fenders are hard to find. also, the gauges were rough and soembody had previously opened them so the glass was loose. some guy on the FB ac rd group was parting one, so i bought the fender and gauges pretty cheap. also dug up some stock rear signals i had buried, and a grab rail. lastly, i needed to swap the bars as the honda nighthawk? were bent.

seat should eb ready in a week or so, and then i need ot figure out a paint job. want to go stock but got quoted a ridiculous price, so i'll do it myself.

swapped all this out and took it for a nice ride to Charlotte yesterday, zero issues. def not fast.. lol.. but smooth and a fun ride.

straightened:

painted original gauges & headlight ring replaced (with h4 reflector and led bulb) :

new bars, rd fender and r5 grabrail.

will probably replace tail light mount as well, but not a priority.

definitely not show quality chrome or bike, never will be, but id say im probably 80% done. paint and seat and i'll prob be good since EVERYTHING  has now been serviced.   

SoCal250

:clap: Looks great. Much better with things returned to stockish appearance.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

85RZwade

And now it is a VERY NICE DS7. Well done, sir  :bacon:
I post waayyy too much

Evans Ward

I like the look of that Mark- well done!  :thumbs:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

m in sc

thanks.

finally got the recovered seat back. new foam and cover, all hand done locally. Ive been riding this pretty regular. over the late winter/spring, been pretty good so far.

this was a spare 72 r5 seat i had (was flat and crunchy), so just gave bill that pan to restore it for the ds7.  the ds7 seat just constantly shed foam bits all over the underside of the bike.

bill left me to do the rail, not hard at all. i had the square washers, used stainless button head allens and nylocks with fender washers on the inside.

also, the stock mirror was getting floppy, so i installed a bar end that looked pretty good on the bike I thought. works well too.

as much as i like the seat, it really points out how badly it needs a good oem paint scheme/job.  :huh:

JBeasty

Very nice. When I was a kid we had a guy renting our basement who had an R5 that looked very similar. I always lusted after that bike.
1977 RD400

dgorms

Mark, they are not very fast(but you feel like you're going fast) mine is very smooth as well. Good friend had one in high school so when this came up for $400 I couldn't refuse!
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

m in sc

fast no, but i was rolling at 80 yesterday for a bit. it was howling.

dgorms

Let me know if you need anything, I gots plenty!.......................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

m in sc

i need a steering damper assembly actually. if nothing else just the knob and threaded rod.  :wave:

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

thanks Tim. It'll be at the gap hopefully. (its the only bike i currently own that hasn't been at some point)