News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Pidjones' bicentenial build (a '76 RD400)

Started by pidjones, August 26, 2020, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pidjones

Finished removing the paint from the tank. Bondo on the small dents and the one big rough spot left on the front after using the stud welder on it. The a lot of sanding, and more Bondo, more sanding, Bondo Glazing and spot putty, more sanding. Primed the bottom (tunnel) with etching primer, then the top. Noticed some rough spots on the top, so built up about four layers of filler primer (the red). I'll let that cure overnight and hit it tomorrow with sanding again. If good then, a good etching primer layer to seal everything so the lacquer will not react with any small bit I may have left. Considering leaving the tunnel with just the etching primer and then clear over the whole thing when it comes time.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

pidjones

Well, good and not so. The "filler" primer never hardened. Had to sand it off. Then I tried Bondo Glazing and Spotting Putty - it never hardened and continues to outgas through my lacquer-based etching primer, messing it up. Dug that out and replaced it with regular Bondo 2-part. Pretty close to what I want, now.

pidjones

Rainy today - and a bonus that the mountains provide - power outages. On our backup generator for the past hour and a half.  And it is dark now. I always pray for the linemen that have to work in bad weather.

Anyway, the forks are rebuilt with new seals and fresh synthetic ATF. Straightened, cleaned the rust and paint off of the old headlight bucket, and primed it by heating with the heat gun, open the garage door and paint, close the door and hit with heat gun again, repeat. Weather is forecast to clear up in a few days. Then it will get black finish. Went through parts to determine what I still need - brake lines, tires, chain, plus about $150 in bits from Yambits.

pidjones

Today, headlight bucket painted, mufflers cleaned and polished. Baffles pulled, cleaned, and new wrap installed. Downpipes polished. Kickstand installed. I guess the wiring harness needs to be brought in for refurb next.

85RZwade

Admirable dedication! Keep doin' a little bit
I post waayyy too much

pidjones

Started on the wiring this afternoon. Right control sorted. Had to completely disassemble and re-solder all three of the connections to the turn signal switch - they broke off! I've not experienced such bad cold solder joints in a Japanese product. Anyway, that item is ready except for the bullets presently soaking in vinegar. Bad weather forecast for tomorrow, so might get more done after church.

pidjones

The headlight bucket and ring were pretty beat up. Looked like the bike had gone down on the right side and smashed them a bit. But, the lamp, lens, and reflector were intact! So, I tapped the ring and bucket back "rounderized" again and repainted the bucket. Looks ready to mount!

And, the wiring harness is pretty much cleaned up, checked out, repaired as needed. All that is left is the electrical board with fuse panel, regulator, and rectifier.

pidjones

This happened this evening. USPS and FedEx delivered a bunch of parts (at around 6 pm). Have to say it is pretty amazing to order from Yambits on Friday and have the order delivered on Monday! Anyway, I also had All Balls head bearings ordered from an Amazon dealer along with headlight ear mounts from Yambits. I assembled the lower tree with the tapered bearing and the original ball bearing on top. Then mounted the forks and the headlight ears on them, and finally the top tree. Went together very smooth. Just setting on the dolly and a 4x4 for now. Tomorrow I'll figure out a way to balance it on the dolly and strap it down. Because - the builders are supposed to start coming in tomorrow! I really don't mind being delayed on the bike build if we can get these home repairs finished before bad winter weather!

pidjones

The cleanup of the wiring is done (but not installed). I did get the seat, handlebar, and wheels on it so that it can be moved around easier. I guess the next would be the engine (or is it best to mount the wiring first?)

pidjones

Airbox and wiring mounted (found that airbox first, but left loose to get loom in place works). Headlamp bowl and connections done. Next will be rear fender, grab rail, an wiring back to the stop and turns. Then the lump!

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

dgorms

It always amazes me how fast I get my Yambits orders. Faster than stateside suppliers!...................................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

pidjones

Yes, I know there a lot of detractors to Yambits (same for Saber Cycle in the US), but for me their selection and speed rock.

Anyway, today the lump went in. Chain went on so I could torque the drive sprocket. Also, the rear mudguard is mounted along with tail light, signals, wiring. Need to mount up the rear brakes and fill and bleed both systems.

But, contractor called that he hopes to bring his trailer over tomorrow. At least with most of the RD together, I can roll it out to the shed and store it pretty easy.

Painting the tanks and side cover need to be done. I'm thinking to mix a little gold in with dark emerald green metallic. That should give the hint of yellow the Geneva Green has. I'll experiment with samples and if I get what I like, soot it and let that cure for a month or so (it's a lacquer) before decals and SprayMax Glamor Clear 2K rattle-can (that I have had real good success with).

pidjones

Not a chrome fan, but the exhaust does add to it.

pidjones

Right side exhaust and rear brake installed. They started on our house today. 12x12 foot deck and 4x6 landing, stairs to both all demo'ed. They will be back after the holidays and replace with new. I'll bleed the brakes tomorrow and hook up the battery (supposed to be delivered tomorrow) to see how the electrics look. Later in the week will roll it to the shed to store for the demolition of the garage ceiling.