News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Pidjones' bicentenial build (a '76 RD400)

Started by pidjones, August 26, 2020, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

No good deed goes unpunished! Hope the leak didn't ruin your paint work, and good luck with the repair. Nanu-Nanu.
I post waayyy too much

pidjones

Quote from: 85RZwade on April 02, 2021, 01:28:18 AM
No good deed goes unpunished! Hope the leak didn't ruin your paint work, and good luck with the repair. Nanu-Nanu.
I'll protect the paint with plastic and painter's tape. The leak is inboard the seam where it is just primed, so after sealing I can reprime that area while it is still masked off. Just have to be very careful while cleaning, etching, and lining with the kit.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

pidjones

Doing the deed today. Already spent five hour with cleaner and etch. Another haf hou of etch and then probably an hour of drying (I like using a vacuum cleaner to lower the vapor pressure of remaining water, thenheat gun)THEN the POR15 goes in and rolls for about an hour, then blow out the cross-over tubes and clean things up.

Milan

You never said what you did to get it started?

M

pidjones

Quote from: Milan on April 08, 2021, 02:18:42 PM
You never said what you did to get it started?

M
Really, just made sure electrics were right to the coils (had a poor bullet connection) and it started on the left. Then I noticed fuel coming out the bowl drain on right and closed it, then it ran on both. Maybe 10 kicks finding all that. Took off the aux tank with premix and hooked up the regular tank with premium and it started right off. The tank is lined and back on, but I won't put fuel in it until next week.

pidjones

I fueled the tank with about a gallon today and there was no leakage. Engine started on 2nd kick and idled without choke after just a couple minutes. Adjusted the rear brake stroke, and I think it will be Ok without rebuilding the MC. Tomorrow I hope to take a few spins on it.

pidjones

Fixed a leaky float bowl drain and installed a metal fuel filter to replace the plastic one for the left cylinder. Checked that all leaks stopped by putting a clean paper towel under the bowls and waiting, then checking it with a UV light.

Then, I took her for a 7 mile loop through the valley and she ran GREAT! My only concern was that the pipe seem to be running cool. Just a minute after shutting her off I could grab the down pipes and  they were barely warm! Sure not like a 4 stroke!

Rear brake is still a bit soft, but I mainly use front anyway, using rear for final stop.

pidjones

Feeling pretty stupid. Along with the leaky float bowl drain on Left, the Right overflow was dripping. I put the tube in a small bottle overnight to keep it from stinking up the house (petcock leaks, too) and must have pinched it off. Because, this afternoon when I could get around to pulling the Right carb off, fuel dumped out of the carb throat. Ooops. So, I'm sure it also went into the crankcase. Then when the float bowl came off I found the problem - leaky float? NO! I hadn't tightened the float seat into the carb body! Tightened that up and put it all back together. Of course, I can't get it to fire a lick now. Pulled the plugs (new) and they are a bit wet but show no evidence of firing. Old plugs aside the head fire nice and hot. Guess I've filled the crankcase. So, what is the procedure? Pull the plugs and kick it a few times every time I pass it? I have a new petcock on order, BTW.

pidjones

New petcock came  today. It had been taking a scenic tour of East Tennessee conducted by the US Postal Service when drove fifteen miles to intercept it before it spent another week touring (and it was correctly addressed!) Turned the tank on its side and swapped the petcocks, remounted and reconnected. I have been kicking it over four or five times both throttle open and closed all week. Plugs are just hand-tight in. I'll probably install new ones and try firing it up again next week. Right now it has to reside in the shed with the tractors because we don't have any room in the garage. Anyone want to buy an '06 GL1800? Please! I need the space!

pidjones

Finally pulled her out of the shed. Had been kicking her over four times throttle closed and four throttle open daily for over a week. Today I turned on the (new) petcock and on first kick she sputtered, third she fired and ran. Pulled her up behind the house and removed the rear master. Ran my battery powered drill with a 1/2" dowel rod rapped in 2000 grit silicon carbide flushed with isopropyl through the bore for about five minutes. Rinsed all of that out with more isopropyl and blew it out with compressed air. Reassembled with brake fluid for lubrication of the seals. All back together and bleed, bleed, bleed until partial petal achieved. Led brick bungeed to the pedal now and about an hour ago I checked on it. Much better, so put the squeeze back on it.

There is an indoor car and bike show Saturday. I was planning to take my custom GL1000, but now I think I'll take the RD.

747drvr

were those two goldwings on knoxville craigslist by chance yours???  i really liked the older one. did you sell it or decide to keep it ??

pidjones

Quote from: 747drvr on April 29, 2021, 10:05:54 PM
were those two goldwings on knoxville craigslist by chance yours???  i really liked the older one. did you sell it or decide to keep it ??
Yes. I sold the '79 last week. Still need to sell the '06 because we also have a new Spyder in the garage.

747drvr

looks like someone got a nice deal and bike with the 79. i kept trying to convince myself to pull the trigger on it.   lol    bought an rz instead

pidjones

Rode her to the Time Warp Tea Room bike night yesterday. One - kick starting, quick warm up to choke off, penty of power. I'm pumped!

pidjones

Just noticed today that Geneva was named BOM for April over on the Do The Ton site! Pretty pleased by that.