News:

Deals Gap Shenanigans

Deals Gap 2-stroke meet 2024 : May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Pidjones' bicentenial build (a '76 RD400)

Started by pidjones, August 26, 2020, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

747drvr

wish i had remembered the time warp date !! been wanting to get some riding time on the rz since i did a top on it!!  :umm:   btw that green beauty would look really nice between my rz and rd in the garage !! :love eyes: :love eyes:

pidjones

Bike Night every Tuesday at the Time Warp! Turn out pretty much governed by the weather.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

pidjones

Went to the Time Warp after the rains this evening. Tomorrows going to suck cleaning it off. Ran out of gas but coasted into a station that had 93 octane.

pidjones

Took Geneva to the Mossy Creek Cruisers show in Jefferson City, TN today. Won Antique class. Was a nice,  although a bit warm day. Rains held off until loaded and gone.

747drvr

congrats to Geneva !!!  I need to add a 400 to my herd. But getting an original 73 z1 900 from the original owner first.

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Kawtriplefreak

pidjones

Planning to take her to a show in Knoxville tomorrow for a church car & bike show. Year before last (before COVID) they had a vendor with deep fried pork chops. Yum! You could feel your arteries clogging up just looking at them! It will be hot and to permit taking chairs, canopy,  cooler, etc. we will take Geneva on the trailer.

pidjones

Won a trophy for Best Paint Motorcycle. The paint is RSBIKEPAINTS water borne Geneva Green over Rustoleum and Duplicolor etching primer, a can of Spraymax 2k Glamor clear, decals, and another can of Spraymax Glamor clear (and of course sanded and polished out). I love the color. The finish? Meh.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

SoCal250

Congrats! :clap: You're gathering quite a collection of awards for your work!
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

pidjones

I've been collecting a small spot of oil under Geneva every time she is parked. Coming from GoldWings, this will never do! Obviously from under the left cover in the drive sprocket area. I know these are often the neutral switch insulator is cracked, but mine seems Ok. What was not Ok was the forward blanking plug. It was blown halfway out. Tapped it back in and levered the other one home. But, that didn't fix it. After another couple weeks and oil spots, I pulled the left cover again today. The forward blanking plug was blown half-way out of the case. This time, I cleaned the plug and case well then Hondabond 4 on its periphery and tapped it back in. The rear blanking plug didn't look like it had moved. I have UV leak detector dye on order, and if spots reoccur I will add about 8-10 ml of it to the gearbox. I did check that the gearbox vent was clear, also.

pidjones

Rode her just a bit over 7 miles to a show yesterday. She made me proud by starting 1st kick each time. Leaving the show at over 90F I didn't even choke her to start. This impressed the guys there with Honda motards that said they would need a dozen or so kicks to start. When I got home she was parked on the center stand (on a paper towel) again to check for leaks. If still spotting I will pull the left cover and do a black light search.

pidjones

Pulled the left side cover today anyway, just to search with the UV flashlight. Not a hint of leakage, so hopefully the Hondabond 4 worked.

pidjones

Added a GL1800 horn in place of the stock beep beep - what a difference!

Today is a holiday in the US, so I decided to take a little holiday ride. Not long, only about 50 miles but it was ove one of my favorite routes through Norris Dam State Park. The RD ran fantastic. I stopped about 10 miles from home and filled the tank.  Best I can figure, I am getting about 40 mpg.
I did a helmet video but it is very wind noisy (and it is aimed down at the clocks too much). Taking a long time to upload to YouTube, but I'll add a link once it is done. Nothing exciting, though. Which is kinda good!

Question for any that might know: is there a calibration to the oil tank dipstick grooves? Maybe an ounce per groove?