This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Aluminum swingarm quest

Started by 85RZwade, September 01, 2020, 09:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDFL

sav0r

It looks great, but it's an absolutely silly design.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

oxford

Quote from: RDFL on September 08, 2020, 05:54:18 PM
What Tracs look like now. --

I had that picture in my head and couldn't remember who made it.  I can't believe they use solid bar stock and mill pockets in it. 

Jspooner

Quote from: sav0r on September 08, 2020, 06:43:47 PM
It looks great, but it's an absolutely silly design.

What's silly about it. It's kind of ingenious if you think about it and I'll bet it's not as heavy as you think it also might be less time to make that way. I like it.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

sav0r

It's almost certainly heavier and weaker than a tubular design. They could have at a minimum done some actual shape optimization on those pockets. It's ingenious because they realized they can minimize their mill and weld operations to maximize their profit. Otherwise it's an inferior product. For the record, I don't actually see that arm on their site for RD's, or any other model for that matter. So maybe they have since discontinued it?

RDFL

Other way around it replaced the one pictured on site.

suey1958

Very Nice looking design in my opinion,...I like it :clap:

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

m in sc

just looking at the 2 designs, the motolanna arm is going to be stronger where it matters.  the curve in the leg, the strengthening ribs on the outsides, etc. very well done, much more elegance of function of design. the trac arm is pretty clunky buy comparison. but, to be honest, on an rd, no one will ever come close to testing the strength of either. 

SoCal250

Quote from: m in sc on September 09, 2020, 07:08:06 AM
the trac arm is pretty clunky...
That's exactly how I was going to describe it. Clunky looking
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

pdxjim

Quote from: SoCal250 on September 09, 2020, 11:50:23 AM
That's exactly how I was going to describe it. Clunky looking

Yup, and on a 2T twin with no torque, keeping everything as light as possible, and just strong enough is key.

Alloy has the bling, but in this application, chromo is the way to go.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

sav0r

Can anybody provide me the dimensions of the rectangular tube stock on the DG or similar swing arm?

RDFL

Quote from: suey1958 on September 08, 2020, 10:21:14 PM
Very Nice looking design in my opinion,...I like it :clap:
Me too, looks way better than their original.

RDFL

The Motolanna and the Trac both look clunky the Trac less to me. The original Trac looked really clunky but tuff.

m in sc

having have seen both in real life, im going to have to disagree that the motolana looks clunky by comparison.  either way, regarding the square stock, just use off the shelf.  https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/aluminum/1-5-x-3-x-0-125-aluminum-rectangle-tube-6061-t6-extruded/pid/7021