This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Powerdynamo wiring question

Started by rodneya, September 24, 2019, 01:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

Finally got my bike in a box together enough to start wiring
Where do I connect the brown wire that was going from the regulator to the rear stop lamp switch. Im assuming this wire only has power when the bike is running. Do I connect it back to terminal 6 on the regulator on the attached diagram.

m in sc

the brown wire off the mzb regulator is ground. i know, its dumb.

the brown wire on the yamaha harness is switched 12v.  obviously, don't connect them. 

rodneya

So do I connect the brown wire from the Yamaha harness that was going to the regulator back into  power after the ignition switch?

Does anybody have a simplified diagram of how to connect the power dynamo int the ya,aha harness?
Wiring drives me insane.

m in sc

yes. looking at the diagram, the one they call out is what powers the kill switch at the bar, which they then use the red/brown wire to trigger the relay at pin 85.

So, it uses that relay to 'unground' the ign coil on the mzb when the kill switch at the bars is 'on' and the key is 'on'. without it the relay won't triggger and you wont get spark.

keep in mind, mzb used the wiring protocol where brown is ground, red is 12v battery, black is ac voltage, etc. you are having to cross colors because of this.

DesmoDrew

I used to make/sell a wiring kit and instructions which swapped out the MZB wiring for Yamaha colored wires. Made the MZB installation and integration onto an RD pretty seamless. I still have all the components on hand. Not sure I have any completed kits though. I will post a picture if I find one. Worth 1000 words, as they say.

JakeS

I'm running a powerdynamo system and would like to use a digital tach. I can't figure out which wire to tap to get the signal. The tach it a koso and can switch form a positive signal or a negative signal. My thought was that the yellow wire going to the coil would be the signal. Any help is greatly appreciated

rodneya

Quote from: DesmoDrew on September 24, 2019, 02:06:14 PM
   I used to make/sell a wiring kit and instructions which swapped out the MZB wiring for Yamaha colored wires. Made the MZB installation and integration onto an RD pretty seamless. I still have all the components on hand. Not sure I have any completed kits though. I will post a picture if I find one. Worth 1000 words, as they say.

That would be helpful to check I have done it right before I power things up.

m in sc

Quote from: JakeS on September 24, 2019, 11:06:25 PM
I'm running a powerdynamo system and would like to use a digital tach. I can't figure out which wire to tap to get the signal. The tach it a koso and can switch form a positive signal or a negative signal. My thought was that the yellow wire going to the coil would be the signal. Any help is greatly appreciated
thats where i triggered my spa tach before.  :toot:

Plasticman

I just started this same installation on my RD400 last night.  I'll take pictures and document it in a separate post.  Was going to add a relay into the system, too.

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)

rodneya

Quote from: rodneya on September 24, 2019, 01:47:35 AM
Finally got my bike in a box together enough to start wiring
Where do I connect the brown wire that was going from the regulator to the rear stop lamp switch. Im assuming this wire only has power when the bike is running. Do I connect it back to terminal 6 on the regulator on the attached diagram.

So it turns out that the Vape regulator I have with my kit only has 4 wires. It does does not have the green and red wire.
So now what do I do with the brown wire that was connected to the old regulator?