Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Gasket Sets

Started by Aloha808, September 17, 2020, 05:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aloha808

So I have several complete gaskets sets for my rd's and one for my rz that I recently found.  They are still sealed, but are at least 10-15 years old. 

I was wondering if they are still good.  They look fine.  It is just the age I am concerned with.

Thanks,

Russ

m in sc

as long as the paper is pliable good to go.

i once had an NOS gasket that was so old, it literally shattered like glass when it hit the floor.  :eek:

Aloha808

Thanks, that is good to know.

I noticed that the rz set has an rubber o-ring.  I am guessing, as long as that is pliable it is also good to go??

Thanks

pidjones

Quote from: Aloha808 on September 17, 2020, 05:30:44 PM
Thanks, that is good to know.

I noticed that the rz set has an rubber o-ring.  I am guessing, as long as that is pliable it is also good to go??

Thanks
Rubber is affected by two things in storage (besides age): ozone and UV light. That is why critical o-rings are packaged in airtight aluminized packaging. Pull on the o-ring and look at a light with it stretched to make sure it is not beginning to fail (you can see cracks in the surface begin to form as it is stretched. Ozone really eats them (one advantage to Viton is ozone resistance) and if kept near discharging electrical equipment (electrostatic air cleaners really destroy rubber and plastic fast by ozone generation). If they have been stored in sunlight, they are probably trash.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Aloha808

Thanks.  I will take a closer look at the o-ring later when I get home from work.

Appreciate the info. gentlemen.

Russ