Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Looking for thread on MikesXs Rims

Started by Scooterror, March 14, 2019, 07:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterror

Sorry to clog up the list with a repeat of info. There was a thread about fitting MikesXs aluminum rims to RD hubs. Had details on drilling holes to get angle of spokes correct and recomended tire size specific for the rear wheel swing arm clearance.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  I did a search and looked through turning wrenches. No luck.
Thanks

Jspooner

"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

sav0r

Sounds like you pretty much got the gist of it, OP.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Scooterror

I guess I need to know the tire size for the rear on an rd with an xs rim. Also what is shouldered and not shouldered rim? Some prefer it over others. Why?
On a side note, Jspooner, do you still have the laser cut tuning fork key chains f/s?

Cdffiredad

Here is a pic of some MikesXS shouldered wheels I laced up on RD hubs

Jspooner

Quote from: Scooterror on March 14, 2019, 09:04:31 AM
I guess I need to know the tire size for the rear on an rd with an xs rim. Also what is shouldered and not shouldered rim? Some prefer it over others. Why?
On a side note, Jspooner, do you still have the laser cut tuning fork key chains f/s?

Tire size will depend on the rim width you are going with. If you are going with a 2.15 rear then i would use a 110/80 rear tire and on the front I'm assuming you will be using a 1.85 rim so I would go with a 90/90 or 100/80 for a tire. As far as shouldered VS non shouldered its mostly about the look and what you want. The shouldered rims have kind of a "W" or "H" looking cross section profile which are referred to as an "H" type rim and the non shouldered are what your bike has stock and are referred to as a WM style rim.

If you do use rims from MikesXS you most likely will need to redrill the spoke holes so that the spokes can get the proper angle on them. I just take a cordless drill with a drill bit the same size as the existing holes and re-angle the hole, Its just a guess at best and if you don't do it enough the spokes will actually look bent because of the wrong angle of the hole.

I will let you know on the laser cut key chains, but pretty sure I have a few left.

Scooterror

Here is what the front end I am working with. I am almost positive that's an xs rim. That's why I need the rear wheel to match.

Jspooner

That is a shouldered or an "H" type rim. I cant tell the size but it looks pretty wide. Hard to tell if its from MikesXS but the rims they have will match it as they have black shouldered rims. I would go with a 2.15 rear. And, yes, I do have a few laser cut key chains left.

Scooterror

Tire is a 90/90/18. If you can pm me your paypal info and cost for 3 key chains,  I'll take 'em

Jspooner

Quote from: Scooterror on March 15, 2019, 10:41:12 AM
Tire is a 90/90/18. If you can pm me your paypal info and cost for 3 key chains,  I'll take 'em

It's probably a 1.85 rim then. I'll PM you.