Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

10 mm shorter swing arm bolt for RD350A

Started by Dvsrd, September 21, 2020, 12:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dvsrd

I am now converting my RD 350A to cable actuated rear brake, and replacing the passenger peg/ muffler brackets with some alloy brackets that only mount to the 2 M8 lugs each side
This makes the stock swing arm bolt 10 mm too long. For now, I'll use aluminium spacers, but a 10 mm shorter bolt would be much better.
So, will a bolt from an other model or other brand fit?
Maybe TR350 or early TZ?

m in sc

Dvsrd

Just about to fire up the lathe and make 2 alloy spacers, 5 mm thick.
It is just that a shorter bolt would give just that little extra clearance for the brake cable and shifter linkage.

m in sc

1976RD400C

Can you thread the bolt with a die 10mm more and then cut it off in your lathe to make it shorter?   :umm:
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Jspooner

Quote from: 1976RD400C on September 21, 2020, 04:14:17 PM
Can you thread the bolt with a die 10mm more and then cut it off in your lathe to make it shorter?   :umm:

I did this for the pivot bolt on my TZ replica. The frame is a TR3 frame and one side is threaded for the bolt to screw into with out a nut but I left it long enough to put a nut on it.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

oxford

Quote from: m in sc on September 21, 2020, 01:10:39 PM
use steel. ask how i know.

Curious as to what alloy you had problems with?  I have heard 6061 is not really ideal for wheel spacer bushings, 7075 is a much better option.  I believe this came from Leo in the triples board.

m in sc

was 6061. but 7075 will also compress. steel is better for this application, just is. or, cut the end off as said and weld a 'new' end on. there's 10 different ways to do it.

Dvsrd

Quote from: 1976RD400C on September 21, 2020, 04:14:17 PM
It is easy to cut more thread in the lathe ("single point"), but I do not have a spare bolt in case I later want to go back to original setup.

oxford

Quote from: m in sc on September 21, 2020, 05:36:22 PM
was 6061. but 7075 will also compress. steel is better for this application, just is.

No arguments here.  I was just wondering.

suey1958

I have the same issue, not so much a clearance problem but sure would look a lot nicer if it was shorter instead of using a washer(s).
I have replaced the the grease fittings on both sides with short allen screws that are flush with the pivot bolt ends. They are of course removeable to replace grease zirks to add grease.

bitzz

Pretty sure all the TR and TZ swing arm pivot bolts are the same length, about 10mm shorter than the RD
The TR and TZ bolts have a M16x1.0 thread and the RD has a M16x1.25 thread.

m in sc

cut the threads off except 1 past the bolt.  :whistle:

klaird

Is it possible to reverse the bolt and have long end on the left side?