Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Needle Jet Question

Started by Czakky, October 04, 2020, 09:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

thats what i thought. i had a set years ago but cant speak with any recent experience.

Czakky

So I've had my P0 NJs in twice and had the same idle issue... Both times that was the only change in the carbs. I'll press on and play with the pilots.

teazer

In theory, there should be little to no flow through the needle jet at idle, but as soon as the throttle is even cracked open there's a depression across the needle jet and it will flow - even if it's not much.

I suspect that in this case, the slides may be high enough at idle to allow for some fuel flow from the needle jet and maybe enough to upset idle mixture enough to have an impact.

Czakky

Coupled with a magneto ignition I think running a bit of a higher idle makes sense. Either way with a little luck I should have some more info by tonight.

m in sc

only will affect if the slide is too high. feel free to solder up an old jet and put in in there, then set idle circuit. then take main jet out, put in correct one. will 100% be the same if everthing is in good order.

know how i know? ive had a solid clogged main jet before from a piece of rubber coming out of a fuel line cut. idled great. minute it got throttle, one cyl would cut out.

thats just how these carbs work, period.  even the PJ34's i have are like this.  and those have the weirdest idle circuit, ever.

teazer

And you can take out the main jet and still get it to idle and up to about 1/4 throttle or more.  And many of us know that form finding main jets loose in the float bowl bottom.

Czakky

I totally believe you guys, I'm just trying to figure out why I can't get an idle where before I could get it to idle atleast somewhat. Spooner pinged me and have some direction as well :notworthy:

I've got the leanest NJ I'm willing to try in right now needle on second clip. I'll report back how she's running later hopefully. I've got a few other things I've been ruminating on as well.

m in sc

look closely at float level

Czakky

:umm: I might have a bad coil. I could not get a spark after kicking it a dozen times... I'll have to check connections, etc first.

Czakky

I can't find any values for the Hpi coil, but it looks sorta good. Looking at the stator it seems like I should have continuity between the blue and white wires? Anybody know?

m in sc

Czakky

But probably not open? :bang: that's not a real question...

Czakky

Now I'm wondering if this thing has been bad for a while. I'm hoping this isn't like Marks bad iridiums...

m in sc

im pretty sure my issue was user error. (rotor slipping).

Czakky