Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rz350 overcharging

Started by 2 Stroke Jamoke, October 10, 2020, 01:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 Stroke Jamoke

I'm getting 15v at idle that shoots up to 20v when I rev it. I have tried 3 different reg/rec with no change. I have tried jumping straight t from battery to signal wire on the reg/rec to take the switch (possible resistance) out of the circuit with no change. Other than this issue the bike runs flawlessly. Wiring gurus please chime in. I am willing to buy another reg/rec but the ones I have all pass the diode test so I think they are good.

Barrie

check the earthing of the regulator
I can't fix stupid , but I can give it a bill !

2 Stroke Jamoke

Well I added a jumper a while back that grounds the frame harness and engine so I don't think it's a ground problem. I will check it out tho. The reading bounces around when I rev it, 14v 18v 20v 14v it threes like that. I wonder if I have a stator issue. It ohms out fine and I get over 50vac from the stator leads. I'm stumped

pidjones

Quote from: Barrie on October 10, 2020, 02:01:49 PM
check the earthing of the regulator
And the engine and the battery - make sure they all go to the same earthing point.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

1976RD400C

Cheap digital meters go crazy trying to read voltages around motorcycles. Are the lights getting real bright when you rev it. 
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

2 Stroke Jamoke

The light gets brighter when u rev it but not overly so. Everything appears to be working fine. Now when I put an analog meter on it it reads at 13v or so at idle but goes to just under 15v when I rev it. So according to the analog sweep style meter it's good. But I did just have to replace a battery that stopped working. Acted like it was dead and would not take a charge.