News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

3" pod filter with a straight inside of neck.

Started by Dvsrd, October 29, 2020, 08:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dvsrd

Not 2 stroke related, but I'll stick my neck out anyway....On my XS650, I have a pair of Mikuni RS/TM34 flatslides, and want to run pod filters, mounted on velocity stacks. I already have made a smaller battery box to allow this.
I actually ordered a pair of UNI filters with a 3" neck ID, 4 " long. Unfortunately, these filters have an internal ridge that do not blend nicely with my velocity stacks, so there will be no benefit from the nice entry radius of these stacks.

So what I am looking for is pod filters with an unobstructed 3" ID, max 4 3/4" (120 mm) OD, and length max 4" (100 mm) excluding the neck.  All suggestions welcome 😁

m in sc

the xs400's are basically stock like that.  get 6" long unis if you want them internal.  or super long k&n;s

Dvsrd

I've been studying the online catalogs of both K&N and UNI, as well as Pipercross, with limited luck so far.
What I am trying to achieve is that the rolled edge of the velocity stacks blend with the front inside surface of the filters, or stand proud of it, inside the filter. I already epoxied plastic rings on to the stacks, for secure fitting of filters.

m in sc

i have a stack stuffed in a uni filter on the honda cr85 motor.

Dvsrd

Yes, that should work fine. But my stacks are 76 mm OD, that is where the problem lies.

m in sc

Dvsrd

Close,  but no cigar. Those Weber velocity stacks are 58 or 66 mm at the widest, while my Mikuni stacks are 76. The OD of those filters is just too small to give an ID of 76 mm or more.
Looks like my best bet is something like a HD Sportster filter, and make my own covers for it.
An oval filter with internal heigth of 76 mm, and internal width of 196 mm would be the smallest useable. Alternatively 2 round, open filters with ID larger than 76 and OD less than 120 mm

m in sc

my point being you can just slip one over  stack. ive done it.  you're making it way too complicated.  that was just an example. but the unis on that page are 3" inches ID or, 76mm  :whistle:

Dvsrd

It turns out that RamAir has larger diameter pod type foam filters, much like UNI. So it looks like I have found a solution.  Thanks for all input!