Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

setting up garage at house

Started by m in sc, November 02, 2020, 05:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

finally got moved in with angie last week, and of course the garage is the most time consuming  part.  big thanks for the led and bin suggestions.  now i need the shdd kit to show up so I can clear out the left side and get the bikes in better. should be good for 10 when im done, 2 in repair area
also moveable center toolboxes for car if bad weather, like, tornado's and shit. :cheerleader:

pidjones

Looking good! When we built, I wired switched outlets in the ceiling of the garage and used 2x48" tubes for lights. They have been converted to LED over the past few years, and Harbor Freight 1x48" LED added, which puts out or than the 2x48s. More light is always good.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

RDFL

Yep, led's make a big difference, light like sunlight.

rodneya

Nice, I like those LED's. My garage lights are behind the door when it is opened making them kinda useless.

m in sc

i have a strip right behind the widow on the door, it helped.  but theres 2 16' strips, 2 4' strips, im adding 2 more 4' strips under the bins, dropped. and i have 5 single standalones going: one over the bench, one over the lathe, on over the center island. the other 2 will prob go in the shed. and a 4' basic led fixture off the regular switch.  i have a seperate wall switch for the array of leds, and a wall switch for the bench units.  i rewired a lot, added a few outlets (including one in the ceiling for the array) , and a 40a 220 outlet for the tig welder.  :toot:

rodneya

Thats my next job to get 220 into my garage. I have all the bits required, Im just procrastinating because getting from the basement to the garage is probably going to be a bit tricky.

bitzz

If you're going to all the work of pulling 220v 40A into the shop I would seriously consider installing a cut off switch and a pony panel (a small fuse box) in the shop.
A LOT easier to wire to and safer.

m in sc

agree. a sub panel that long of a reach is good way to go.

mines right under the main service panel so no need.

pidjones

Also a good time to make provisions for an interlocked emergency generator feed.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

rodneya

Quote from: pidjones on November 03, 2020, 11:56:13 AM
Also a good time to make provisions for an interlocked emergency generator feed.

Yup, Im kinda kicking myself for not getting the 220 and a generator feed installed when we moved in and replaced the main panel so that there was enough space for a hot tub service.

quocle603

love a clean shop. Give it a few days ;)
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

m in sc

i tend to keep it clean overall, actually. I was in the apt garage/ shop for 4 years, don't need ot paint walls or clean floor aside from a sweep.

a leafblower is key for reg maintenance

Striker1423

Quote from: m in sc on November 03, 2020, 04:47:00 PM
i tend to keep it clean overall, actually. I was in the apt garage/ shop for 4 years, don't need ot paint walls or clean floor aside from a sweep.

a leafblower is key for reg maintenance

I thought I was the only one lol. The leaf blower works well. Just gotta remember to cover up whatever you don't want covered in potential dust.  :bacon:

sav0r

Maybe it's just me but I hate leaf blowers. They are a nuisance.

I will push a broom all day long.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

hows that? a nice battery one is perfect for a shop. (gas ones are a huge PIA for this) it gets all the stuff out from behind the bench. theres lots of welding and cutting and grinding in my shop, especially with a lathe & mill. broom isn't getting back in behind the shelves.

I also use it to dry cars and bikes after i wash them.  :haw:

side note: anyone seen the heated blanket ad with the guy with the leaf-blower trying to blast if off the woman laying in bed?. thats ridiculous hilarious  :dawg: