News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

RD400E Special

Started by biggraham, March 19, 2019, 07:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggraham

As a young man, I lusted after my friend's buddy's RD400, so after collecting parts that have laid semi-dormant for too many years (had a hard time finding a motor) I ponied up and bought one! Already fairly modified, with a GSXR front end, some long expansion chambers, but was stoked he'd forgotten to mention larger carbs being fitted!
Even though I like its bare metal tank, I miss the wider, taller UK tank, and wanted to put make it my own, so
here's how I picked her up:

biggraham

Testing out the shortened, stepped seat! Mocking up a bracket I fab'd for a Lucas tail light  and a Harley bobber front fender:

biggraham

My custom additions so far: Euro tank, modified seat, Lucas light and bobbed fender:

SUPERTUNE

Very cool! '78 is my favorite of the 400's even though I have a 76, 77, and a roach  '79 Daytona that is in major need of restoring and getting back together one day...
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

busa1300

Looks like a matching rear wheel will be a challenge to fit in your stock arm.
The front looks good though
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

biggraham

I do have a 3.5" gs500 wheel I may try and fit, altho the 3 spokes put me off!  I may change to a Daytona rear, get a little more rubber on the road, lighter too! :umm:

biggraham

I rattle canned the Euro tank, going for 20ft looks, drying as we speak :)

biggraham

Twists of fate are surely odd! Decided to take a break from swearing at my Vdub, and organise shed space. An ideal time to check out paint match (spoiler: it's not) on the impromptu rattle can'd Euro tank.
But just for fun, I thought I'd try on a gs450 tank. Now, as my seat was shortened in length by the previous owner, its closer to the tank, but with said Suzuki tank, I can use standard mounts, hinges and even the lock!
It may be a tad sacrilegious to consider an alternative tank, but I'll take some photos, see what u y'all think :)

biggraham

Options:

2 Stroke Jamoke

biggraham

The GS tank certainly has a kind of Dunstall look to it, but it'll need the petcock relocating. The decal not matching the same angle line in the tank's knee indents is bothering me, so I may go for option 2, Goldilocks style :eek:

SUPERTUNE

I like the euro tank better of these 3....
C
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

biggraham

I think so too, the gs tank will be a pita to move its petcock! :whistle:

biggraham

Good news, my new landlord is into bikes, already smack talking my RD400, waging his Kawasaki 500 triple can out drag the RD. I pointed out mine's souped up, but still...
Amazingly,I just tracked down some Spec 2 pipes for 240..She's already lighter than stock, and I still may fit the Daytona wheel..
On the 1/4, it's
looking like stock Kwak does 13.5
Breathed on RD like mine 12.9....
and he weighs 20 lbs more :)

Either way, it's just the kick in the rear I need to get motivated :)

biggraham

Here's the new pipes: