Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RZ350 Restoration '84 Red/White/Blue

Started by nojoke2stroke, December 18, 2020, 10:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nojoke2stroke

I picked up another project.  Been looking for a decent RZ350 in the Red and White scheme.  Didn't really want a project, but luck would have that the Craigslist addiction twisted my arm and I ended up with a project.  However, it wasn't the project I went to originally look at.  The seller listed a runner with a title not too far from me.  It was a little steep on the price, but decided to go look anyway.  Come to find out the seller had a second complete RZ (not running) and a spare motor.  I got interested in the spare motor, but the seller didn't want to split up.  He ended up selling the CL bike that was listed and took down the ad.  I texted him somehow the "other" bike and spare motor jumped in the back of the truck.  The spare motor happens to be the numbers matching to the frame of the bike, completely rebuilt with receipts (never run), and ported (more inspection needed on this).

So the complete RZ comes with 2 sets of body parts, gauges, and tanks.  All usable, nothing perfect.  One set of fairings and tank have been painted some scheme that I think sucks because I want it original paint and decals. 

I decided to tear the bike completely down to start the restoration process.  Here is the bike as I got it.  The incorrect coil, wiring rats nest, and other issues were free of charge.

nojoke2stroke

another photo

nojoke2stroke

stripped down

RustyRD

I like it, had two RZ's first one I bought new back in 84, and the second on in 86. I miss those bikes, and would love to find just such a project. :whoop:

85RZwade

It warms my heart to see an RZ find a good home! Congratulations, and I'm sure I won't be the only one anxiously watching your progress. Cheers!
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

Quote from: 85RZwade on December 19, 2020, 09:19:08 AM
It warms my heart to see an RZ find a good home! Congratulations, and I'm sure I won't be the only one anxiously watching your progress. Cheers!
Mee too, how much ya want :haw:

85RZwade

Russ, are you asking to by his bike or mine?  ;D
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

teazer

Yellow and black models are faster you know..  :whistle:

Years ago I had a perfect VFR750F and teh RZ.  The VFR was faster, smoother, better handling and when push came to shove, the VFR got the push and the shove and I kept the RZ.  It's not all that fast but it is more fun and more smiles per mile than any bike I have owned.

Light years better than an air cooled 250 or 400 and if I could get my act into gear I'd get a restomodded RZ with CPI or Athena top end for even more fun. 

nojoke2stroke

I've been making some progress on the RZ and currently assembling.  I decided powder coat the main parts.  I realize it is a bit of a risk by not being able to completely color match. 

The wheels were powdered in black, brushed raised edge, and clear coated over everything.  I am pretty happy the way they turned out.  Frame powdered red and swingarm in silver.

Nearly every nut and bolt is getting cleaned.

When I purchased this package the spare motor was in the bike.  The original numbers matching motor came with the purchase and it had never been started since a rebuild a few years back.  I took the top ends off both engines and one was stock and the other heavily ported.  I have decided to use the stock cylinders for this build and save the ported motor for another build.  I therefore needed to swap out the top ends.  Along the way I ceramic coated the top case and side case, side case, cylinders, and head.  I will get more photos of the engine soon.

Does anyone have a good painter for the body parts?  I have a replica decal kit already, but all the body panels / tank need to be painted back to original colors.  If you have someone that you know that would be interested in painting please let me know.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

nojoke2stroke

This RZ restoration project came with a spare engine, which happens to be the numbers matching engine.  I was told the engine was rebuilt top and bottom and never been fired.  The only issue was that it was ported and I wanted to run stock carbs for the restoration.  I am therefore swapping out the top ends.  I will use the ported engine for a future build of some kind.  Here are a few photos of the ported cylinders.

nojoke2stroke

nojoke2stroke

nojoke2stroke

And now the stock cylinders going onto the restoration