Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Motorized Bicycle

Started by JB Weld, December 29, 2020, 09:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

Excellent use of the water bottle mounts!
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

that thing is a riot. Id venture to say the rear sprocket may not hold up but its def interesting.

85RZwade

I have too many projects as it is...but I also have some extra chain saws and bicycles  :dapper:
I post waayyy too much

JB Weld

Thanks for the comments! Already experiencing so me issues. Doesn't want to start now. I think it lost spark. And the mounts are a bit flimsy, so I'll have to beef them up a bit.

Updates will be slow as I have other projects that are more important....to my wife  :haw:

smokah

My mad scientist friend is going a bit further with his version of this. 125cc pit bike engine mounted to a stretched bmx bike frame.

smokah

He's still boxing the rear. Custom sprocket will be welded to the rear rim.

85RZwade

That's a clever wheel alignment jig he's fashioned
I post waayyy too much

Clem710

Redid one of these that was built from a kit a few years back.  Things that I remember were important were chain alignment and tension, the kits come with a fixed tensioner and since the gearing is clamped/sandwiched to the left side spokes, its tricky to get it to run true and circular.  In the kit I ran lots of oil and tuned accordingly 20:1 iirc.

Brakes are important, its not much more weight or speed but it is more of both, make sure theyre working good just incase that kill switch doesnt work.  The kits have a hand clutch thats used for starting, has a latch to hold in as well in case you are just pedalling.

I got mine going about 35 by the time I was done, no big mods just getting everything as good as it could be.  Rubber mounted engine was smooth to about 20, terrible after that but plenty of go.  Big ass beach cruiser, truckin along:)

I found it fun but it was a heavy ass bicycle and not a very good scooter and I didnt need it at all so it went to someone more transportationally challenged.  Yours should be fun as well and maybe alot better if it runs smooth at the top end, Id guess that the motor is a good bit lighter so it might be more bicycle like.  20 without pedalling and that sweet sound is pretty good, especially if you have favorable laws.

JB Weld

The laws here allow motorized bicycles, although they have to have pedals and lights that operate off of the engine's charging system. No way I'll try to run lights off of this and don't think the police will be worried about how they are powered.

This thing is shelved until winter. Remodeling is constant and now that my wife's father is in a nursing home most of our time is dedicated to caring for his home and acreage.

smokah

Not to hijack... but it's done, and still rim brakes.

quocle603

check out 2 stroke stuffing on youtube. he went crazy on his motorized bike build. he's currently onto bigger and better things now.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC