Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Vape: R or no R spark plugs?

Started by NYSingh, December 22, 2020, 08:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYSingh

I'll be installing my new Vape ignition over the next few days (merry christmas to me!) and was reading through the instructions in preparation.

The instructions at one point say "Do not use spark plugs with an intern suppression resistor. NGK (e.g.) offered such spark plugs coded with an "R" (for resistor)".  Seems pretty clear. 

But, later on, it says "You should have received the HT Cable with the fixed rubber cap (which does not contain a resistor) as a part of the kit, you should have to use a spark plug with an inbuilt resistor (or replace the cap with the one containing a resistor) to comply with your local laws (Electromagnetic compatibility requirements)".  Hmm  :umm: so does that mean I should use a resister plug?

Then later, it says "Do not use a spark plug cap(s) containing a resistor WITH a spark plug(s) containing a resistor at the same time", which seems to imply it's ok to use a resistor plug as long as I don't also have a resistor in the plug boot (which I suppose would only be the case if I were to ditch the Vape-supplied plug boots and use my own, which I am not doing).

So, resistor or no resistor spark plugs?

If no resistor, any suggestions on brands, since those B8ES NGKs are a scarce commodity these days?
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

m in sc

i commit the cardinal sin and have run a resistor cap AND plug when i had the 1st gen zeel with the vape, and it ran just fine. 2nd gen doesn't seem to be as delicate so its ok with just the caps now.
so you can run a resistor cap OR plug, ( i wouldn't recommend both), and it will work absolutely fine.  I've had mine since 07, just fyi.

rodneya

I ran my vape with R plugs so that it didnt make the Acewell digital gauges go crazy

scully

I don't run any R plugs or R caps..... has not been an issue in 5 years..

m in sc

oxford

Quote from: rodneya on December 22, 2020, 09:42:38 PM
I ran my vape with R plugs so that it didnt make the Acewell digital gauges go crazy

I had to do the same with the speedhut gauge I am running.  I first thought it was a voltage problem at idle without running a battery but the non r plugs were the culprit.

Pretty sure I used the non R plugs at first because I also saw that warning in the instructions.

RustyRD

The Koso meter I am running states poor RPM readings would be due to non resistor condition, no resistor cap or plug. here is a copy from the Vape manual on this item, which is online.             
- You should have received the HT Cable with the fixed rubber cap (which does not contain a
resistor) as a part of the kit, you should have to use a spark plug with an inbuilt resistor (or replace
the cap with the one containing a resistor) to comply with your local laws (Electromagnetic
compatibility requirements).
- Do not use a spark plug cap(s) containing a resistor WITH a spark plug(s) containing a resistor at
the same time. It would cause problems, especially difficult engine starting. The total resistance of
cap and spark plug combined should not exceed 5kOhm.
- Remember that candle plugs age, increasing resistance. If an engine only starts when it is cold, it
is very likely that a defective spark plug connector or faulty spark plug is the cause. Do not use socalled ignition-reinforcing cables (e.g. Nology).

https://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/7105/7105main.htm