Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Xs650 tank on rd350

Started by 350smoker, January 16, 2021, 11:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

350smoker

Anyone know if a xs650 tank will work on an rd? If not does anyone know where I can get flat track style tank for an rd! My rd sustained some damage in a wreck and decided to build a tracker out of it now! Thanks

AtLarge

Oh man.  That would be a heartbreaker.   :sad:
1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1994 BMW K1100RS
2023 Honda CRF300L Rally ABS

Dvsrd

An XS 650 tank is not a direct fit on the RD. The front rubber mounts are similar, but fitted opposite. The rubber "pucks" sit on the frame, and the steel "cups" are on the tank. And the XS tank is bolted at the rear.
But it may still be possible to use an XS tank, with necessary mods.

SoCal250

As already said it's not a straight bolt-on. It will require fab work. The rear mount on the XS650 is a single round tab that is rubber mounted with a bolt. Front mounts are the same as the RD. Not sure about any dimension differences between the front mounts or the overall length. Another difference, it uses dual petcocks which are mounted at the rear of the tank and no cross-over hose.

That really sucks about your bike! Are you OK? How did it happen?
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

350GUY

Very nice bike and that really sucks.
Most importantly, I hope you are OK??

350smoker

Thanks for the info guys! Anyone know of a flat track style tank for an rd? As for the wreck I left work made it 2 blocks and had guy turn out of side street directly in front of me had no real time to react! I walked away with lots of road rash and had hand issues for awhile as well as my shoulder being out of place but everything is good now and I'm ready to get back on the roads again! Just need a more upright style now as I don't think my shoulder will handle the aggressive stance I had before that's why I'm going street tracker!

350smoker

I'm was looking at the omar's xs dirt tracker tanks so I guess I may have to reassess as I don't want to do alot of modifications.

85RZwade

There are fiberglass options, if you've some $$ to spend.
I post waayyy too much

350smoker

Quote from: 85RZwade on January 17, 2021, 08:37:31 PM
There are fiberglass options, if you've some $$ to spend.

I don't dumping more cash on it again!  Who makes fiberglass tracker tanks for them? It was my first 2 stroke and I've had it ten yrs so I'm kind of emotionally invested in her at this point!

85RZwade

Check out:

https://www.airtech-streamlining.com/yamaha-fairings-seats-fenders-parts/RD3501973-79.htm

and there's a place in Oregon that makes some sweet stuff as well; hey Jim! What's the fiberglass place in Oregon? (I'll look for it)
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

I was told about these guys from Cheney Engineering Flat track. http://www.gopherglass.com/ P.S. rd400 tank fits with some slight mods at rear mounting area.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

350smoker

Awesome, thanks guys I'll do some digging and see what will fit an rd frame!

350smoker

Really trying to find a tank like this on this rd tracker. Pic from google search