Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

TM32 conversion

Started by Kawtriplefreak, January 19, 2021, 10:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

Thank God for Hemostats. They are a blessing for those of us who don't have the 3 or 4 dwarf hands required to keep all the pieces in place and hold the spring and plastic retainer back. Hopefully if all goes well tomorrow I can attempt another jetting run. I have found for needle swap or changing clip position it is easier to take the screws out of the slides and leave the cable connected rather than the hassle involved with trying to hook the cables back into the slots.

Kawtriplefreak

After I inspected everything and could not figure out why it kept fouling the RH plug I called my good friend Frank B. After I chased my tail pulling the RH carb apart and we swapped in a spare ignition coil we did a compression test. It read 118 on the left and 60 on the right. So we pulled off the RH cylinder. Looks like one too many 9000 plus RPM shifts to me. Top ring broke and got spit out best we can figure. I ran a magnet around in the crank well and we inspected everything. No damage to the head or top of the piston. Minimal damage to the cylinder. Shook the pipe and nothing is rattling around in it either.

The picture program uploaded the pictures in reverse order
At any rate I have a spare top nearly new top end given to me years ago by Frank and we gave it a bath and put it back together. (Luckily I also keep a gasket set on hand) Started and ran perfect on the 2nd kick. Thanks Frank B for all the help and M in SC for the technical guidance. I will retorque the heads and hopefully run it up and down the road tomorrow.

Kawtriplefreak

Each head bolt took 1/8 turn after setting all night. Started 2nd kick. Idles perfect at 1500. Took it on a couple runs. No leaks. Runs pretty good. Light 4 stroking just past 1/4. throttle. Air screws at 1.75. Clip in middle. Plugs are dark a hint of gray. Can't tell really didn't run long or hard enough and we oiled the cylinders and used cleaned plugs not new. Video uploading. It revs significantly quicker. Overall quite smooth. I think it is still rich in the middle but not much.

Kawtriplefreak

rodneya

Why do you think 9000 rpm shifts would break the ring?

Kinda sucks when you spend ages chasing your tail. Been there, done that too many times.

Kawtriplefreak

Probably more like 9500 or a 10 grand. I have run it pretty hard from time to time. Those pipes will let it rev past 10.

Czakky

Where you at for jetting?

Kawtriplefreak

230 main
40 pilot
P4 needle jet
5fP17 needle set in middle
Air screws at 1.75 turns.
After consulting with M in SC and his review of the video I will be richening the needle 1 clip position and trying again. It runs significantly better and throttle response is way better than my 46 year old stock VM28s.

Czakky

Kawtriplefreak

Nearly there now I think. Went up to 240 on mains and it pulls harder. One rich on the needle made the middle worse. So now we will go one lean on the needle as it was 4 stroking at 1/2 throttle with the clip in the middle. Thanks M in SC for the guidance. Plug chops will follow with the one set of 4092s I was able to get locally.

85RZwade

Tim, has that engine had any port work done? I saw the modified reed cages, but I'm curious if any other intake mods are contributing to your success with the bigger carbs. Also, I thought you'd like this:

I post waayyy too much

Kawtriplefreak

Nice!!
No the engine is completely stock. It also has a Vintage Smoke ignition installed and timed by M in SC and Moto Carerra Millennium GP chambers. It ran really good with the stock carbs and even running higher than stock gearing 15/39 it will still pick up the front wheel in 1st and 2nd. Like everyone else I want more power. I am very impressed with the 32s. It revs significantly quicker and there is definitely more power. I will be moving the clip to 1 lean the next time I get a chance to work on it, possibly tomorrow before work.

Czakky

Your real close to where I'm at w/ my TM32s. I'm leaner on the pilot and emulsion tubes. I've also got HPI ignition and porting, intakes and probably less gnarly pipes.

Kawtriplefreak

https://sendvid.com/39elkvrr?secret=769287c3-e80a-4b5b-97ed-a1dd87e0e312

Moved clip to one lean. Back together. Test ride tomorrow. Before when starting I had to be quick to get enricheners off to avoid plug fouling. Now you have to leave them engaged until engine starts to slow down a bit and then push them in. Getting closer.

Kawtriplefreak

Pretty sure we are there. Going to go up to 250 on the main jet to see if it will pull it. Middle is perfect now. Opened air screws to 1.75 after 1st run and idle and pull off are better.  Starts 1st kick cold enrichener on. Plug chop coffee and creme near electrode end and lighter further up. 77 degrees here today. 93 unleaded fuel. Video later. Thanks Frank B and M in SC.