Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rd400 stock carbs vs 30mm vm mikunis

Started by rd400greenhorn, February 04, 2021, 04:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400greenhorn

So are they( VM 30mm) just easy plug and play with stock throttle cable?
Iam considering 30mm carbs

Its a rebuild engine with y boot k&n filter and spec 2 classic pipes

Tips are welcome

Hardy

Plenty of info on this board regarding proformance, short answer about fitment is they need to have the intake stub machined down or run a larger manifold.

Chuck use to sell a bolt on kit, but I havnt seen him on here in a while? He would be the best man to answer.

Hardy

Kawtriplefreak

Gary at Spec II sells a kit with the throttle and oil pump cables and turned down intakes. He also modifies the slides for smoother power delivery. I am running a set of Gary's carbs on my RZ350 and they run great. I believe you may have to relieve the engine case for clearance. That being said in my opinion a worthwhile upgrade.
I am in the middle of a TM32 conversion on my 75 RD350, which would be another option for you. Chuck also offers a conversion for the VM series and he is currently relocating his shop. It is my understanding is that he is not quite set up yet in his new location. The VM 30 are most definitely not plug and play, but nothing insurmountable. My biggest issue on the RZ was finding the correct throttle cable and getting the throw on the oil pump cable correct. Gary's carbs come with an oil nozzle fitted as well so they are the closest to plug and play.

rd400greenhorn

Allright
Thanks guys

Iam gonna stick with my stock carbs for now, and save the money

Organicjedi

I've often asked myself if 2mm or even 4mm or 6mm is worth all the trouble if the bike is running good as is. This is the biggest reason why I've stayed with my stock 28's for now.

But when has "it runs good enough" really stopped any of us? :science:

m in sc

pwks have a notably better throttle response. just fyi.  ive run 28s and even 30s (pwk) and never regretted it. IMHO, way easier to tune.