Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD400 primary gear tightening

Started by old-man, February 06, 2023, 07:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old-man

My crank is removed from the engine. I need to tighten the primary gear nut. The service manual sequence to tighten the nut is to place someting soft between the clutch gear and the crank gear and tighten.  I worry about causing damage to the bearings, shafts, gears or cases. Since I have the crank out of the engine, shouldn't I use a clutch holding tool and torque wrench to tighten the primary gear nut, insert the crank and then assemble the engine cases? A different service manual suggests putting the bike in gear and torqueing the nut!

dgorms

Put a penny between the gears, works well and costs, well.....a penny!
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

m in sc

i usually blue loctite them and throw an impact gun on them. never had one come off. its sort of caveman but hasnt failed me yet.   :twocents:

rodneya

I was going to say to use an impact, but I've also seen a lot of negative comments about it. Always worked for me in the past, clutch and sprocket nuts as well. Just don't use an impact meant for working on semi's or earth moving equipment.

Plasticman

I use the shop rag version of "use a penny" except I put the handle of the wrench under a small stool and ask my wife to come sit by me for a spell.  So far she hasn't noticed what she's being asked to do.  I may be living on borrowed time....
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)

Jspooner

Quote from: rodneya on February 07, 2023, 11:33:21 AM
I was going to say to use an impact, but I've also seen a lot of negative comments about it. Always worked for me in the past, clutch and sprocket nuts as well. Just don't use an impact meant for working on semi's or earth moving equipment.

I do this^^^^^
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Hawaii-Mike

I use a penny and an impact gun.  No problems.