This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

HPI ignition install

Started by turtle, March 24, 2019, 10:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUPERTUNE

Quote from: pdxjim on May 07, 2019, 06:17:37 PM
Can someone (who knows what they're talking about) recommended proper timing setting for HPI on "stage 1" tuned RD350 on premium pump gas?
Stay on the safe side, no more than 1.7mm static! Gear it down for as low as you can go for the track too. (Over gearing hurts)
IMO, air-cooled engines don't like pump gas on roadrace! I run 50/50 with C12 in my historic stock racebike on 32:1 mix of you favorite oil...
Did you do a full mockup of squish clearances, squish ratio, calculate MSV and full stroke compression ratio?
Always remember bore size can push it right over the edge easy...
I know Garett did your machine work, but not sure if he has it low enough for straight pump gas.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

turtle

Quote from: m in sc on May 16, 2019, 10:43:57 PM
interesting, 1st i heard of that. are you sure you ordered it for an early small taper rd? the later ones (european) were larger tapers i think. the lc and rz certainly was. they may have sent the wrong rotor on their own mistake.

regarding the 12v thing, yea, should be it.

I got an email from willy and I was told there is 4 different kit options. I ordered the only rd350 option from treatland. I must have the wrong rotor, because it is very loose.  I provided him a pic of the install and the invoice from treatland

m in sc

yeah, i bet you got the large taper one. I -may- be to blame as when i ordered it from him, i had to go with a large one. Im sure benji will get it straightened out for you.

turtle

after providing 10 pictures to willy@hpi I am getting no help. I'm being told the rotor is correct and now I'm getting pissed. I'm going to try and send him a video of the issue and hopefully he will see.

m in sc

ah, youre dealing with them direct? interesting. this is why i went thru treatland when i bought mine. incase there was an issue there would be a stateside distributor to take care of things. bummer.

how far off is the taper diameter? im assuming the one you got is too big?

turtle

I sent treatland an email this morning. hopefully they can help

turtle

so i finally got a new rotor from treatland and it actually fits. there was a pretty big difference from the old to the new. for the guys running this setup, did you go with the hpi rectifier/regulator or is there a better option out there.

quocle603

Quote from: turtle on May 26, 2019, 04:12:10 PM
so i finally got a new rotor from treatland and it actually fits. there was a pretty big difference from the old to the new. for the guys running this setup, did you go with the hpi rectifier/regulator or is there a better option out there.

treatland customer service strikes again! They are great!!
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

m in sc

IF i were to go with a 12vdc system, id use theirs. since i went full on ac lighting, i used a trail tech setup.  :twocents:

pdxjim

Hahaha. On the Kart track Racer bike we just used the HPI as shipped.

No wiring harness, no reg/rec, no battery, no lights, no nuthin.

We did ad an MX style kill switch, but that's all.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Nkreig

Quote from: m in sc on May 28, 2019, 10:38:15 AM
IF i were to go with a 12vdc system, id use theirs. since i went full on ac lighting, i used a trail tech setup.  :twocents:
Mark, what wire on the stock harness did you connect the 60w lighting wire too?  I have the trail tech as well.

m in sc

mine isnt stock wiring at all. however, its like any system like that, and can wired into the battery lead. if you are going to run a battery, you need to run a rectifier of some sort as well as the output is AC.

as an follow up, timing was mentioned as i want 100% clear,  Krister was though and it may have been lost.

when timing, you need to make sure the timing marks, at 3500-4000 rpm, running, line up. this is listed at 25 degrees. my unclear instructions, were eluding to i did the initial setup at 1.7 as a starting point. admittedly, i run mine 1 degree less. so at 3500 rpm the marks line up on my 350 at 2.9mm btdc, which equates to 24 degrees max advance . @ 1.8-1.9 @ 1100 rpm or so, its close to do initial setup, but what really matters is the dynamic 'flat' plateau at the 3500-4k so the rest of the curve performs correctly.   :twocents:

PIOUGHD_RD350

I love this whole thread!
I have a HPI on my Puch Magnum.
And, once I saw from their direct website that there are RD350 ones, I have wanted to get one.
Because, the one on my moped is killer!!!
Oh, and I love treats from Treatland!
Thanks everybody for all of the input on this ignition.
Mixing gas, and hauling a$$!!!
1975 Yamaha RD350 with LC top
2003 Derbi GPR50 with YZ125 motor
1989 Yamaha YSR50 1978 Puch Magnum 2018 Tomos Sprint 2005 Yamaha Zuma

quocle603

Wait for the treats sale. It's going to happen soon
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

turtle

is there any chance the ricks rectifier/reg will work with this unit. I have a new one lying around. I really need to get this bike back on the road.