click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Mikuni Flatslides for the BMW

Started by DesmoDrew, February 16, 2021, 09:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesmoDrew

Czakky

:clap:
I've got a old Moto Guzzi with Dellorto square slides. I've always wondered about fitting something more "modern".

How's it run?

m in sc

NICE!   :clap: def glad to see something other than a VM34 on an old airhead.

rodneya

Looks good.
Those motors are so weird with the air filter built right into the engine cases like that.

Saw this posted recently and thought it was pretty cool.

DesmoDrew

Thanks.  I really wanted to get rid of the Bing CV carbs, and like Mark says, did not really want to go with the VM Mikunis.  I wish I could take credit for being clever enough to figure it out myself, but all I did was find Mikuni Oz in Australia.  The only Mikuni set-up (that I could find) sold in the US uses VM carbs (and just the carbs), and is not a great option in my opinion.  It does replace the Bings, but needs cutting of the stock intake runners and uses radiator hose to fit the carbs to the heads.       
   The TM kit from www.mikunioz.com is really well thought out.  The carbs come set up for the individual application.  In my case: stock motor, US spec 10% ethanol premium gas, aftermarket exhaust.  They also include extra main and pilot jets ( + & - from the ones installed), the carb top noodles, new inner throttle cables and cable ends, and the best part, machined spigots for the front and back of the carb so it is a perfect swap, size wise, for the Bing it is replacing.
   I installed the carbs, made the new cables, and the bike fired right up and settled into the smoothest idle it has had since I have owned it.  Took it for a short ride and am happy so far.